Should I let my in-laws see my son?

This weekend was a weekend from hell. I'll give the short version. We went to their house for a suprise party for my DH. While there our son was acting up and my husband disciplined him. Hubby's sister overreacted and got into his face and started yelling at him. He told her to get out of his face and she kept on. Finally, he told her husband that he needed to calm her down. My MIL and FIL got involved and they started accusing my husband of doing things (which he did not do) and then said that I told them that he did it (which I did NOT say any of those things). Hubby told me to get our son because we were leaving. MIL went to the door, locked it, and said no, you are not, I am calling the police. I go to get our son (who was playing outside with his uncle) and my FIL comes chasing after me, grabs my arm, and pushes me back into the house. Cont..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Cont.. At this point my husband is fuming mad. He tells his dad to get his hands off of me. He tells them that we are leaving and that they would not be allowed to see our son for a long time. MIL then threatens to call Child Services on us because we are keeping her child away from them. I told her first off, he was not her child, he was mine and Child Services would laugh in her face if she called with that complaint. She then gets in my face and starts yelling at me and putting me down. (Oh, and she ends her rant with "you need God in your life", lol!). Anyways, we were finally able to leave. This is not the first time, something like this has happened. It is the 3rd time. I am done with my in-laws. I don't care if I ever see them again. However, I know that our son loves his grandparents, but I don't know if I really want them to be a part of his life. Any words of advice?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• They sound crazy. I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near them.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• are you not continuing because you cant reply anon? I hated that before i got to level 16.....would really like to hear the rest of this story...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• there we go!
    samurai_chica

• I would say if u really want him to be around his family then do it in a controlled area. In public somewhere so that maybe this wont happen again and if it does u have witnesses to ur case. Biut i wouldnt let him go alone thats for sure. Ur MIL sounds like the type that may grab him up and run away or something crazy.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• hmm... can i ask what they were accusing your DH of? Did he spank? Why would they flip the way they did if they werent sincerely concerned? I guess it could be chocked up to being crazy pazies. i would not allow my child around them either. It sounds like just being around them is asking for Drama. Yes, child services would laugh in her face. Although, many crazy people call CPS & make false claims, so be careful! i would not be suprised if you got a knock at the door. Just make sure your house is clean at all times...lol. Why on earth would your FIL grab you to bring you back into the house? i don't understand why they wanted you to stay & why they wanted to call the police. Did the police ever get called?

I would keep my child far away from them. I would talk to MIL if she called & calmly explain that you cannot handle the drama that they conjure up. They are buring bridges with the way they are acting...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:31 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Please take care of your child I had a friend who was snatched by his grandparents because they did not agree with his mothers way of life. They were using the child to control the daughter in law. This is an etreme example but be careful and watch the little slipups like she says my son I would control the way she is allowed to be around your child and if she is. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• That's what I was thinking too, Tiffany. I went ahead and told his summer camp that if they try to pick him up and I have not verbally told them that they are going to be picking him up that day, then to call me and call the police.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would steer clear of them completely for a good long while. Sounds like the family is just a lot of drama and that needs to be worked on before a little kid has any business in it. Then maybe call them up and make a date at a park, ice cream shop, etc. Your son will get to see them in fun places and the focus can be on just visiting with him. Not on anyone's territory with a bunch of adults that can't get along and drama is sure to start, kwim?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• DH did not spank. Our son wasn't paying attention and he brought a cup of fruit punch into the livingroom (where he knows he is not suppose to bring drinks) and he spilled it onto their wool rug. DH put our son on the couch and firmly told him to stay there until we got the mess cleaned up and he would talk with him after that. I don't know if his sister misunderstood something or what but she flipped out. They were accusing my husband of telling our son that he wished he was never born. My husband has NEVER said this, nor did I tell my MIL anything like this at all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2010