Do you consider seizures as a disabilitie?

My little brother has had seizures since birth. He's 15.5 and hasn't had one in almost two years and they're really hoping that he finally stopped having them after puberty, but my Mom still refers to him as "disabled". She's never claimed it to the government to get money for it or anything, she just refers to him this way.

As far as I know, he did have some memory loss, which effected him in school a bit, but the kids learns just as fast as any other kid and is completely normal in any other way. I hate that she gives him that crutch to lean on when speaking to him (he's always had a problem with doing his homework and failed a grade not due to seizures, but due to not doing his homework and failing classes).

What do you think?

MomtoElliett

Asked by MomtoElliett at 10:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Health

• my 10 year old is on meds to control seizures... she had been having them sice she was 3. we have never refered to her as disabled because she isn't .. she has a health issue that has to take meds for and occaionally she has had to go to the hopsital for.. it does not affect her in things she does.. she is like any other kid in every other way
    munchkinaplenty

Answer by munchkinaplenty at 10:37 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I work for head start for children of low income families. Seizures are listed as disablities according to our grant funding. But its in the eye of the beholder and how your brother views himself. It would probably help for your mom to stop refering to him as disabled.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'd say its semantics. Its a disability,but he's not disabled per se.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• How does he feel about being labled as "disabled" ? I would really not like that if MY Mother did that.Nobody wants to have a health issue,do they?
    IS she aiming for a claim? For disability money from the Government? Or is she just insensitive?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have seizures because of a head injury that I received when I was 9. Technically, I know that I am considered to have a disability and I take 15 anti-seizure tablets per day to try to ward them off. I have not had one in six years. However, I know that I could be set off and have another seizure and my whole life is basically worked around them. For instance, I work from home on my computer, so that when I am not feeling well, I do not have to drive. I did have a few problems with short-term memory, but I was an excellent student overall. I think that all in all your brother would be doing well to be encouraged to live his life to the fullest with his disorder rather than conditioned to think that it will hold him back in this way.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010