Has anyone used the Dave Rasmey Baby steps plan?

Did it work? Any helpful books or products or websites you recommend?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, It's working for us!! We've paid off a ton of debt, managed to stretch every penny when hubby was out of work for a year, and I swear our marriage is better because of the whole program. Check out the daveramsey.com website, read through the babysteps, listen to the archives, and join the Dave Ramsey group here, FREE will soon be your new favorite word!
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 1:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• yeah we did... we paid off $120K in debt in 2.5 years. we are now debt free except for our mortgage. we just used the total money makeover book but my brother and his wife did the Financial Peace University and really liked the extra info and support of having a group of people working towards the same goal :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:57 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• YES! About $20K worth of debt gone in 2 years and we have an income that's close to poverty level. I borrowed his Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace books from the library, listened to his broadcasts from his website www.daveramsey.com (2 - 5 p.m. Eastern time), and joined the Dave Ramsey Fans group here on CM. No costs involved!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• YEP! Over $14K of debt gone in 20 months! Still have some more debt to go, but we are on our way...almost Debt FREE!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes! We are on baby step 3 right now. I love being debt free!!!
    amberarend

Answer by amberarend at 2:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We are getting on the Dave plan seriously and we are planning to have $34K in car debt gone in the year. I really recommend getting Total Money Makeover from the library and we listen to the podcast almost everyday! Listen on Fridays and it will really get you going! That's when people call in and yell that they are debt free!!! I say the program works because there are lots of ladies in the DR group on here who have used the system and become debt free! They are a great support! I would also say that his plan works a whole lot better than going further into debt!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 2:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We're working the babysteps right now!
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 3:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Just started the DR plan with Total Money Makeover (5 dollars on ebay!). We have a VERY low income (think food stamps) and all of our debt is from when my husband was laid off. We've got 5500 in debt, and we've made small nibbles at that so far. The best thing is though, we are not getting further into debt, and when I was out of work for a week with back injuries (and I am the main provider) following Daves Plan and envelope system, I already had my bills for the month paid up, so we didn't have to worry how we were going to pay the electric and water and car insurance, or how to buy diapers. We'd already had the money put away.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 4:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes we have. We started in March of '09 and have paid off $17,000 so far, with just $3000 left to go :)
    I would recommend starting with Dave Ramsey's book, Total Money Makeover. Sometimes he has it on sale on his website (DaveRamsey.com) for $10, or you can see if your local library carries it.

Once you've been on the plan for a few months- and if you have the money, I would highly recommend Financial Peace University (FPU). It ISN'T necessary for you to go to FPU in order to succeed with Dave's program, but it is very informative and motivational.

GOOD LUCK :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yep and we only have $1800 left until we're debt free (except the mortgage). IT's awesome! Check out Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace University. You can usually get them at the library. Or he has podcasts on his website at www.daveramsey.com.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 4:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010