Are you supposed to wash all baby's clothes before he/she gets here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes. With baby detergent. Dreft or store brand. But is MUST BE baby detergent. They get rashes easily.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes, I think you are supposed to, but I didn't wash any of DD's stuff (cept the stuff from my mom's house, smelled like ciggy smoke) and it never harmed her one bit :)
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:26 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yep! It will get the sizing and fuzz out of them. Otherwise they get all that fuzz inbetween their fingers and toes. They are soft and smell good. They don't have allergic reactions to the chemicals and dyes that will wash out. Its just a good idea all around.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:26 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Nah, it doesn't have to be baby detergent. You can use your regular detergent since that is probably what you will use anyway. They aren't easily allergic. I understand if that is what you plan on doing or just plain want to, but it isn't necessaryl.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:27 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I did because I got a lot of hand me downs from family and friends. No one told me other wise, so I did. I washed them in Dreft. But I think you can use a perfume/dye free detergents. But don't quote me on that.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son's doc said i should even wash my clothes in the baby detergent because his skin was so sensitive
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I don't know if you are "supposed to" but I did. I washed everthing in dreft. When baby came I used dreft for the first few months. Then I tried washing his stuff in free and clear detergent (we used kirkland for a while then switched to tide because Costco is too far away now). He never had a problem with it. So now his clothes are washed with our clothes in tide free and clear.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• "Baby' detergent is actually some of the harshest on the planet- and is actually MORE likely to give them a rash... Unfortunately, a lot of first (and some second) timers fall for the marketing scams. *shakes head* ANY BRAND "Free & Clear" detergent is best. There is nothing in it, no dyes or perfumes (which are in ALL baby detergent) to irritate their skin.
    Putting the clothes through an extra rinse will also ensure that there is no detergent left to irritate their skin.

Yes, you should wash ALL clothing, bedding, burp rags, nursing bras, etc. New garments contain a host of chemicals that are used in manufacturing/production, which you definitely do not want your baby snuggling up with.

I'll also suggest that if you're going to BF (hope you do!) that you wash all of YOUR bras, shirts, etc. in allergen free (free & clear) detergent, because the baby will be in contact with those a lot as well.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:33 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes ..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:35 AM on Jul. 26, 2010