Ever night my 1 year old wakes up at 12 or before, he is screaming and crying and gose not stop. I don't like to hear him cry. I don't like the cry it out mythed. i need help getting my little one back to sleeping all night. He was sleeping from 9:00 PM 6:30AM, but now he will not. I don't know what happen and i don't know how to get him to sleep all night with out him crying all night. Please help me.

andrea156

Asked by andrea156 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• While doctors and some other professionals don't recommend let the child sleep with you. My first two went through this and after crying and being up all night trying to get them to go to sleep in their bed, I just let them sleep with me. My doctor yelled at me for this and I just did not tell him certain things I was doing anymore. We are the only species who do not sleep as a family, there is nothing wrong with it. My husband is a over the road truck driver and though my children are now 17, 11, and 9 when he is not here it is not uncommon to find one of them in the bed. It also makes for a wonderful time of bonding.

JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 6:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I agree with PP - if your baby will fall asleep in bed with you, do what you need to get as much sleep for both of you as possible. At the 1yo mark, many babies are learning to walk - or just about getting there. All of these BIG NEW things throw them off...not to mention, he may still be working on some teeth...and soon to come with be the molars. Crying is not the answer...he needs something - comfort, pain relief, someone to help him calm down...he's not crying for nothing.

Keep night time - night time (don't turn on lights or engage in eye contact or conversation) but do tend to him. This will pass soon enough...and while it doesn't seem like it now, he'll be driving right after that!!
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 6:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Do you give him a snack before bed? He could be hungry. At this age children start having nightmares. Try to rub his back and get him to go back to sleep in his bed. Does he have a nightlight or a sound machine? Waking up in total dark and silence might be scaring him also. CIO is for kids that you know are just not wanting to go back to sleep and aren't screaming they are just whining and moaning.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• There can be several things. Does your child have separation anxiety at all? If he does it could be that he is waking up with separation anxiety. It could also be a nightmare. My daughter is terrified of the dark so she wakes up screaming. Also, she sleeps with us at the moment. I also let her sleep with me. Don't believe what others say. You don't have to, but different things work for different mommies. My daughter sleeping in my bed. Almost all my family has slept in our parents beds and we do not still want to sleep in their beds. I also have to say that we are some of the most independent people you will ever meet. Our children will want their space eventually. It could also be anything from change of routine to teething.
    lovinmyair

Answer by lovinmyair at 9:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• did he ever sleep with a nite light? or dose he sleep with one? my son who is 1 1/2 years old used to sleep with a nite light. and he done the same thing. Now his room has to be dark, cold, and quiet. because the noise and light will wake him up and he will either cry or screem till i turn out the light. and it also could do with insecurity. Maybe he is insecure about something? I would talk to your pediatrition and see what he or she says about it. but this is the best advise i could give you at the moment.
    froggie_16_2007

Answer by froggie_16_2007 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2008