How effective is vinegar on a sunburn?

I've heard several people say to use vinegar to take the heat out of a sunburn. How well does this work? I really hate the smell of white vinegar. Does apple cider vinegar work just as well? Also, should you apply it more than once or is one time enough?

The severity of the burn in question is a pretty solid red but not dry or blistering. Definitely uncomfortable.

sillyt

Asked by sillyt at 10:37 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Health

• It works well. It brings all of the burning sensation out to the top right now and it will feel much better afterward. I would utilize the bath method, as it is much easier to apply. Take it from me though...try very hard to not get sunburned anymore. I have never ever been able to tan, only sunburn, and I was diagnosed with skin cancer last Friday.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• yeah it works, cider vinegar should be fine :) hope you feel better
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would use alovera. As a person that burns ALL the time (even with spf 50) it works well to take the burn away, and even heals the skin to where you don't peel.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• one time from tanning bed I got so burnt my whole body has blisters including my stomache, I took vinegar baths.. it works like aloe I suppose its refreshing and helps but it takes time - its just another natural way to do it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• aloe vera is the best to use on a sunburn:)
    uniquemom30

Answer by uniquemom30 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• @lucindamartinez - I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope your diagnosis is not severe and can be taken care of. I usually do take great care not to get burned. I am outside quite a bit during the summers and extremely pale so I sunscreen frequently. We just had a bit of a misunderstanding yesterday when we traveled over 30 minutes to a bike trail and once there realized that my husband and I both thought the other had grabbed the sunscreen. He is naturally dark skinned and never uses it but I don't like to be outside with out it. We cut our ride very short but I still ended up with a burn.

Thanks for the info ladies.
    sillyt

Comment by sillyt (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Aloe jelly works best

Answer by rkoloms at 10:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010