Does anyone know how to get started for home schooling?

charasha

Asked by charasha at 10:37 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in

• contact your local public school system and get details there.

Answer by older at 10:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Google the homeschooling guidelines for your State and go from there. You can also google local homeschool groups and met with them to see what others are doing.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:40 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• By making the right decision, NOT to socially handicap your child.

Bottom line, if you do not have the credentials necessary to teach in a public, private, or religiously affiliated school- you do not have the necessary knowledge to home school either. It is simply frightening, the people who assume they are the best to educate their child, because they birthed it. Even those with an IQ of 20 can still make a baby.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:41 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• First, find out the laws for your state about homeschooling. Then contact your local school district to find out what they require from you. Some only require an attendance record, others require testing or proof that your child is succeeding. Once you have found out the laws and requirements, then you need to find a curriculum that you would want to use. I would go with one that closely meets your state's standards. I strongly suggest going through a virtually academy. You still homeschool them but there is a teacher e-mails/calls and talks with you and your child about their work and progress. If you or your child have any questions then the teacher can answer them. I agree with Obby Dobbie. I think that homeschooling can be good for some children, but I have only met a handful of parents who could actually do it correctly. If there is a homeschooling information class near you, I would suggest attending it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:51 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• First, locate and contact a local home school group. There are many throughout the country. They will be able to identify what your local state/county requirements are. Homeschool parents are a very special breed. You should be commended for wanting to join our club.

In addition, there is a marvelous group here on Cafe Mom called Happy Homeschoolers (I am proud to be a member of that group as a homeschool mom alumnus). I homeschooled my daughter from 7th grade to high school graduation (she then went on to college and graduate school and successfully completed both). It is very rewarding.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 10:52 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'm a homeschooling mom of 3, ages 10, 8 and 3. Happy Homeschoolers here on CM is also a WONDERFUL resource for getting started (and they can give much more information than we can here in answers).

I have to disagree with ObbyDobbie. You do not need teaching credentials (or teaching certification) to teach your children at home. I know MANY successful homeschooled children and homeschooling families where only one of the parents have a bachelor's degree, and others where the parents have multiple degrees in various fields. Homeschooling will not socially handicap your children, I have yet to meet a homeschooled child who isn't MORE socially involved than a public or private schooled child.

Many who hang out in answers aren't going to help you much, just bash homeschooling generally. I recommend the Happy Homeschoolers group.

Good Luck! Feel free to PM me anytime!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:08 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Oh, and tngrandma is my mom. She homeschooled me from 7th grade through high school and I went on to get a BA and a JD (law degree), numerous scholarships and awards and, somewhere in there, I also got married and had 3 children of my own and friends all over the world. I'm not the least bit "socially handicapped" from my homeschooling experience. I was more "socially handicapped" from my experiences prior to being homeschooled (which to years to repair).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• (which *took* years to repair) - sorry, got interrupted by a 10 year old with a question about Nomads.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:13 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I wrote a post on my blog this week entitled a>; Basically learn your local/state laws, decided why you are homeschooling, decided what you want your curriculum to do, goals, and set a price point. Once you have done that find curriculum to fit your goals and price point. Don't under estimate your local library for resources. Admit when something isn't working, don't be afraid to change things as needed, and finally trust yourself!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• UGH! The post on my blog is how to homeschool. Not sure what happen, I must have made a typo on the HTML coding.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010