What to do for a sweet 16 party....

So my baby sister is turning 16 soon and she's trying to enlist my help throwing her a party. The problem is it's been so long since I've had a birthday party or hung out with 16 yr olds that I have no ideas for her. I would be much better at planning child's birthday. Any suggestions that might fly with a 16 yr old (apparently mine aren't cool enough lol)

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter's Sweet 16 is soon and she has asked her older sister about doing a camp out at her house...they live out toward the country,have a huge backyard with a firepit and it's dark enough to stargaze....We bring our tent and mattresses over and her big sister would stay outside with them in the tent. The birthday parties with her friends are boy and girl and then in this case the boys would leave and the girls would stay...and no we would not have a problem with the boys coming back...I've already gotten a couple of the Sweet 16 decorations that are black and pink with sparkly princess crowns that she liked!
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 2:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• rent a hall and invite all of her friends and relatives- or just ask her what she wants.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:44 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• This is not anything I would do, but I have heard other parents talk about doing this... Get a hotel room or two for her and friends and one for the adults and let them swim, eat, hang out or whatever it is they do these days. lol Of course, this would mean CONSTANT vigilance making sure no one is leaving and no one that shouldn't be there is coming in.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My daughter had her party at our house- invited like 20 people- 6 showed up, which was fine...
    I made the cake and what we did was put black trash bags on the walls in the garage and hung swirlys from the cieling and sprinkled confetti on the floor and spray painted BIG swirlies on the trash bags with neon paint and put a black light out there and her cd player...everyone had glow sticks they LOVED it
    Also she did a horror movie type theme- they watched Rocky horror and Repo the Genetic Opera (hung in the garage in between movies)-eveyone came dressed movie related and we made "goodie" type bags with toast, confetti, rice, party hats, newspaper and whatever else so they could throw it all while Rocky was on...they were even acting it out
    SO FUN!!! *we let the parents know there would be rated R movies
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:59 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My niece owns her own salon so all the girls got up dos, nails and make up. We went out for pizza then home and they made skits for us to record. Was a great time!! Able to watch them over years later and had a great laugh.
    danielle0911

Answer by danielle0911 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We celebrated me DD's 16th with a pool party...pinata, water balloons, water guns, bbq, volleyball/badminton, cake and later a fire w/marshmallows to end it all. It went very well. There were 12 boys and girls and all were well behaved. They spent a lot of time in the pool which was a great way to keep them occupied. We do have a huge yard, so that helped. I wouldn't have wanted them all inside my house...
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We had a large party 75 kids came all were invited.We had 6 chaperone's and requested nice/church attire.All the girls wore nice pants or dressier and the boys wore nice jeans or khakis.They were pretty well behaved I really think the clothes help set the attitude with so many.We had an area with ¬†movies Pretty In Pink ,Sweet 16, Rocky Horror ,a karaoke machine I thought would get no use but once a couple of theatre kids got up and performed several times about 3/4 of the kids watched and participated in groups for at least half the party.They all watched movies but like pp said when Rocky came on it was a production.Half the kids couldn't drive yet so parents carpooled.The invitations were mailed ¬†in distinctive envelopes so parents would notice.My daughter loves pink so we had cool paper and she prints a practice calling it A SWEET16 PINK PASSION PARTY, LOL.changed it but she said I think gross & dirty minded LOL>

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010