• In the Spotlight:

What would you have done?

So my SIL needs my mom to keep her DS during the week while shes @ work. SIL wants my mom to come pick up her DS everymorning (about 20min drive one way). Mom says no and that if SIL wants her watch DS she should bring him to her. I told SIL I agreed that the parent she be driving the child to grandma b/c grandma is doing a favor by keeping her DS for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree with you, SIL should absolutely take the kid to Grandma. What is SIL's reasoning? If the 20 minute drive is out of her way between home and work and she is really in a financial pinch or something, Gma could consider watching the child at their place a couple of days a week or something. But, she should in no way feel obligated to do so.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Well if it were me I would trade off driving. My parents live about 20 min away and we trade off driving-- sometimes they will drive down and pick up my kids, other times I will drive up there to drop off the kids.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Her reasoning is that's it's easier for her in the morning if someone picks him up. Not sure why it posted anon. for the first one---didnt think I could do that--haha--guess I can.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:00 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think she should drive the kid there and be thankful for the fact grandma or nanna is going to watch her son and help her out that is the way it works at a babysitter.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Trade off driving. Maybe mom picks him up 3 mornings and SIL picks him up those evenings. Then the other 2 mornings switch it.
    mrswhite417

Answer by mrswhite417 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• The Gma is already doing her a favor. She should drive and not expect the further favor of pick up service. I am also wondering about the car seat situation. It would be simpler for her to not have to switch out the car seat. If she wants Gma to pick up and deliver, then she should pay an extra amount for the service, even to her mother.

Answer by Bmat at 11:11 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Boo Hoo! If she can't drop the kid off at grandma's house, she needs to find someone else to watch him. Unless of course she's going to compensate grandma for both fuel AND wear and tear on the vehicle, and grandma doesn't mind the driving time.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:40 AM on Jul. 26, 2010