How can I help my 2 year old talk better?

He is very independent which makes it harder bc he knows exactly what he wants and doesn't understand why you can't understand him. He repeats phrases over and over and gets mad that I don't. He is in ECI but they don't seem to be doing much.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 11:02 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ask him to show you when you can't understand his words. Keep the conversation while he's showing you and use a lot of clear descriptive words about whatever it is. I'm no professional but have a cousin that I keep that is in a speech program. The early stages of the program may not look like it's doing much, but at least with my cousin, the first part was just to get him speaking more in general. Not so much focused on perfecting it, kwim?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Keep talking to him, make sure it's not in baby talk. See your doctor or a local speech therapist. Document what his specific problems are- does he stutter, mispronounce certain letters, have a lisp??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• read to him

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i agree with reading, talk to him, play word games (what's this called? what's that called?) encourage him to use the words he knows (use your words...) reinforce using the words (if he points and grunts for example give him a phrase to repeat "say 'drink please'")
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:08 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Does he have a brother or sister speaking for him? I know that my neice still (10 yrs old) has speech problems because her brother and sister would talk for her!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• As others have said, talk to him, read to him, and play games with him. Try singing repetitive songs to him, especially songs with motions that he will think are fun. Talk to his ECI speech therapist and ask what you can do to help. If he's new to ECI or has infrequent contact with the therapist it can take some time before you see improvement, and even then you won't know if it was because of ECI or what you've been doing at home. My son is almost 3 and visits with an ECI speech therapist for about 45 minutes 3 or 4 times a month, and while I don't think that is enough to make much difference the speech therapists suggestions to me and my son's daycare teacher are very helpful. In the beginning the speech therapist recommended using sign language along with spoken words to help communicate some things that popped up a lot.

Continued
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Something I discovered with my son was he wasn't very cooperative in sitting still to read books, but he will play with me in the floor with his cars and I can describe the cars and what they are doing and ask him questions about them. He also enjoys sitting with me with his Magna Doodle and having me draw pictures; we describe what's going on in the pictures. He also listens and responds more happily while we are doing fun activities, so when we're playing in the sand or the water I talk as much as I can and encourage him to participate. Being silly also helps a lot!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My daughter was in early steps. It didn't seem like she was learning much at the time when she was in it, just more having fun. But now that she will be 3 in August, She is forming sentences.. She does still say things that I have no idea what she is saying.. but so do most 3 year olds. Just be patient. It will happen.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Try teaching him baby signs then as he does the signs and says what he wants you will be able to understand him and it will also help him talk better. You can go to the library and get the videos for both of you to watch. Have fun they work GREAT.
    Also have his ears checked he may have a hearing problem.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010