FIRE!!

Someone brought up with freedom of speech that we all have this yet can not yell "fire" in a theatre if there is no fire. My question is simply they why were/are kids/people taught to yell "Fire!" if they are for instance being raped, attacked, etc. to attract attention and not the act that is being committed. . .as no one wants to get involved for the latter but everyone wants to witness the fire. . .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I should have phrased that better.... but you are right. the point is, you cannot incite panic and mayhem where there is none.

It's actually important to yell fire and not rape because people won't respond. I'm not sure if it's because our minds are better trained to hear and process the words fire... think about it. from the time you are in preschool you are trained to react to a fire.

You get a twenty minute class in ninth grade dealing with rape, if that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:23 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• That is a very good question, with a very sad answer. No one wants to get involved if they think that their life might be endangered. Which I understand (especially if you have children with you), but its a free phone call to 911. Have you heard about Kitty Genovese? This is a perfect example of what has become of our me-me-me society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• To think this is actually acting against the Freedom of Speech act, calling "fire" when there is none. I hadn't heard about Kitty Genovese but just read an article about her. . .that is scary!
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 11:21 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• it's not illegal, kirs, that's just an metaphor that illustrates that freedom of speech does not cover irresponsible speech and has limits.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010