Can someone who has had a colicky baby give any advise?

I feel like a horrible mom. This is my 4th baby and 1st with colic. Not only am I having a hard time b/c I don't know what to do to keep my 3 week old happy, I feel bad b/c I seem like I am putting my older 3 on the back burner to tend to the fussiness of my 3 week old. My other kids are 10, 6 and 4 and I don't take them places like I use to b/c of the intense crying and when I am home I constantly catch myself saying "no you cant hold the baby b/c he's too fussy", or "I cant right now b/c I am trying to settle Aiden down" or "for crying out loud the baby finally went to sleep you have to be VERY quiet."
What should I do?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:18 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Deep Breaths Mommy.. I had a HORRIBLY Colicky son.. 1st and ONLY !!! child.>!!! He had 14 hour colic for 6 months and still cried all day til he was well past a year. First,. you CAN"T feel bad right now.. don't take that stress on as well - try to explain some babies need more attention and remind them what a easier age they are at and try to make this a TEAM effort because you are going to need all the support and help you can get.. you HAVE to tend to your newborn right now and the type of crying a colicky baby does can take its toll in so many ways -please email me if you need support of any kind.. I feel for you- Have you tried Gripe water yet?? that would be first on the list to try..!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You just need to calm down and let the baby cry. I know how hard this must be. I had a colicy baby, and she was my first. I stayed in the house forever because I was afraid she'd start screaming in public and nothing would calm her down.
    Let the kids hold her, you never know.. they might be able to calm her down better then you can!

Also, you should never be quiet when a baby is sleeping... let your kids act normally (within inside limits) cuz the baby will just get used to sleeping in quiet, and it'll turn out bad.

I would recommend getting a wrap to hold the baby. That way the closeness might comfort him

good luck
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 11:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Invest in a wrap/sling and carry the baby so that you can attend to his nees and at the same time be free to do anything else. When worn properly chest to chest and face seen at all times, baby wearing is safe and extremely effective in preserving peace for all! You don't need to let the baby cry, or stay housebound, or neglect the needs of other children. WEaring your baby will give you back mobility and hold a baby as they were intended to be held :)

I love baby wearing. I've got too many. LOL. 2 kangas, 1 mei tai, a moby, and a non-stretch wrap and likely a selendang soon. My baby even falls asleep on my back while I vacuum (she's 10 months now).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Unfortunately what you are doing is pretty much all you can do, you might want to wrap up the baby tightly in a blanket like they do at the hospital, this makes them feel secure, I understand your other kids are paying the price for now, but it won't be for long mom, be patient, it shall pass too, just lots of double doses of hugs and love, hugs to you!!!

Answer by older at 11:25 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My 3rd child was had colic...but mind you this was 35 yrs ago. What i ended up doing was to get a baby size hot water bottle, put it on his belly, wrap it around snuggly then I put him in one of those baby carriers that you wear on the front of yourself. Aomehow the combination of heat and being next to me helped soothe him. It also left my hands free so I could care for the others, cook clean etc. There was still crying but not like it had been...good luch to you!
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree with momtoelliot.....you'd be surprised how much help your older kids might be able to be to you.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• And other are right. there is NO NEED to be quiet while the baby sleeps. Babies sleep better with normal activity because it makes them feel safe in the presence of people. Too much quiet makes for restless sleep. A baby should be able to sleep anywhere and everywhere. And crying outdoors is far less piercing than it is indoors. Honestly, babies enjoy the fresh air and activity helps to soothe them.

Don't be afraid. Get out of the house.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• There is a miracle cure that worked for my sisters colicky baby: Her Ped said to use Gripe water. It is available in baby section at drugstores. Less than $10 and it is all natural. Please at least give it a try, I promise it will help.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Read the book "the happiest baby on the block"
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I will definately try the gripe water... He does love the outside, I can put him in the bouncy seat on our porch and he is very content. Thank you for all these nice comments and advice I will be using them...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010