How to get my 2 1/2 yr old out of our room and into his own bed..

I have a 2 1/2 year old son that sleeps in our room on the floor because he will scream all night and fight me being in his room. I have tried putting him in his own bed, letting him cry it out, and going in checking on him every thirty min, but it does no good. He will scream all night. I would really like to get him out of our room and eventually sleeping in a trundle bed with his 5 yr old brother. I have also tried laying with him til he is asleep but he then wakes up not long after looking to make sure im there and then screaming again b/c im not. What do I do? Should I just let him scream all night til he eventually learns I mean business? I am getting tired of mommy and daddy laying in our bed til he eventually falls asleep on our floor!

blroberts4

Asked by blroberts4 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you let him cio, eventually he will get the idea and sleep on his own. he just knows that you are not up for the fight and will give in as you have in the past. tell him it's bedtime in his room, don't take things from him, just let him cry. after a week of hard work i bet he'll go to sleep on his own.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Oh boy! although this interrupts your sleeping habits, he obviously needs comforting for some reason, find out what he is scared of and try to resolve it that way. Or instead of getting upset, use the time for cuddling and embrace it, it won't last forever, and he will want nothing to do with you sooner than you think!

Answer by older at 11:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWww

You can do it!!!!! A little motivation for you.

try finding out what will make him more comfortable in his bed, whether it is bedding, a special lamp, teddy bear a blanky and by telling him he is a big boy and big boys don't sleep with mom and dad.Be consistant. If you keep giving in then he will continue to act that way, in a week or two all the drama should be gone.... Good luck, I did it with four so you can do it....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• good suggestions from PP, also try SITTING in a chair by his bed while he's going to sleep or on the floor by his bed instead of laying in bed with him because he'll feel when you're not there. this way he knows you're there but is still going to sleep 'alone' and won't notice as much when you leave. was he a co-sleeper up until now? i know how hard it can be to break them of sleeping with mommy and daddy, my oldest didn't stay out of our bed till she was about 3.5! we learned though and its been much easier with our other two :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:48 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• KFree- No, he was never a co-sleeper. It was my fault because he started giving me trouble sleeping in his crib and he was sick at the same time s I let him sleep on my floor next to my bed. Now, hes stuck there. LOL New bedsheets on his bed and everything and he still prefers my floor. LOL
    blroberts4

Comment by blroberts4 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• well i have to say this is such a common problem...i would suggest a few things...one try getting him involved in decorating his own room...he knows what is going to make him comfortable...also maybe try the two way monitors with the screens...he might just need to see that you are close to him...make it fun for him...if he can see you maybe that's all he needs for comfort...but i soooo agree with the others...be consistant...you can't tell him one thing and give in after the going gets tough...he counts on that and expects it now...i do wish you luck with this...it isn't going to be easy on you or your little one...
    jiggy349

Answer by jiggy349 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You just can't give in.. Give in once, and he knows you will always give in... It will be a hard couple of nights, but he WILL eventually go to sleep.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• does he like sleeping in a tent? Maybe you can put a little tent in his room and let him sleep on the floor in it, or put his bed in it and let him feel like he is camping out. Maybe his big brother can be of some help. Make going to bed fun for him. Funnier then in your room and see what happens. Sleeping in your room is now a habit that needs broken.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010