How far would you travel by yourself?

I'm 6 months pregnant and my family has been giving me heck for wanting to drive down to visit them by myself (its a 7 hr drive).
Are they overreacting?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 11:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Travel

• Yep, overreacting. As long as you arent having complications, you are fine
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My being pregnant would not deter me from going anywhere by myself.

Answer by older at 11:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think it should be ok, make sure your cell phone is charged and get some AAA. I'd also suggest making the trip during the day.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would go at 6 months, but not after 7.5.

Just make sure you get out and walk around a few times. I would also make sure to have AAA or something like it if there is an emergency or if you get a flat tire or something you shouldn't be doing yourself while pregnant. Otherwise I see no problem, unless you have medical issues.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:40 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I was about 5 months along when I flew from Germany back to the US. However, it was a very uncomfortable trip because I could not get up and walk much. If you do go, I would take a break about every 1 1/2- 2 hours to keep the blood circulating. Is there any cheap flights that you could get so it wouldn't take as long?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I am actually going to disagree with what others are saying and say yeah, I don't think its a good idea to drive 7 hours, alone while pregnant. Especially 6 months pregnant. Pregnant women get tired faster and a 7 hour drive to do at once is nothing make light of. And you aren't taking into consideration how many times you will want to stop to pee, or stretch, or drink or eat or how you will feel sitting and driving for the better part of 7 + hours. And what if something goes wrong with the car in there and you are alone. Mind you I have done 4 hour trips and those are fairly easy, I have done close to 7 hour trips, I have even driven to Kansas and back to Chicago, staying awake for 40 hours, driving the better part of 20 hours and that was exhausting but I wasn't pregnant and I wasn't alone. So I know how a long drive feels on the body. Too many variables for me to drive it alone while pregnant. Cont...
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Cont... I am not saying don't go but find some one to drive with you that can drive in case you get tired, sick, whatever.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:48 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think they are overreacting. Assuming your pregnancy has been going well and you are low risk. I would just stop every couple of hours and walk around for about 10-15 minutes. Which will add some to your time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I flew from Chicago to Hawaii when I was around 18 weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would LOVE to take a road trip by myself. I'd travel from the dge of the East coast to the edge of the west coast. And anywhere in between. I wanted to be something of a Nomad when I was younger.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:07 AM on Aug. 3, 2010