what natural substance can i use for a 4 yr old adhd child?

my son is acts adhd he is doing same things i did at his age as in hitting bitting being mean to his lil sister and throwing toys at use i need HELP me and his dad tried taking him to the doctor and told us he has distructive behavior but he has more signs of adhd then that they told us he is to young be diagnosis with ahdh so i want to go natural anyone got any ideas?

jackie.jackson

Asked by jackie.jackson at 11:46 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can alter his diet, we also tried fish oil pills- in all honesty though they did not make much of a difference.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Omega 3 vitamins!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 11:47 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I don't know of any natural medications you can give him, but you can try therapy. My 4 year old is adhd, and she's taking respirdone and I hate the side affects. She is also receiving in home therapy as well. Try talking to a pediatrician, maybe he/she can recommend something or guide you in the right directions. ADHD is not easy to deal with, but my 4 year old is doing a lot better since being on her medication.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Mrsmama Omega 3 vitamins? Do they have these for children?
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I am sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with your son. It is really hard to know what to do, in that situation besides wanting to call Super Nanny!!! I don't like to preach any certain types of discipline, but you may have to isolate him more often when he shows that type of behavior. It's not always a medicine issue that fixes the behavior. You have to let him know that is not acceptable without yelling at him, or seeming stressed yourself, because that will not help him become more calm. Try more calming activities, including calming music, and don't let him watch violent cartoons or listen to loud music during the day. Keep him away from your daughter as much as possible when he is in those types of moods. you will feel even worse if something ever happenes to her. Try finding a therapist who deals with anger and adhd. Call around as soon as possible. It's important to get it under control quickly.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 10:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• HEY;)
    Both of my los have ADHD. I don't know of anything non medical that you can give,except we give both melatonin 10mgs at bedtime and it helps them drift off. It's herbal and you can get it at Wallgreens,I even found chewables(I can't remember if it was Walmart or Wallgreens). You can put some in his sippy cup before bed time w/juice or something.
    We took our kids to Dr. Jerry Powell in Tipton. He has been good and has a lot of experience w/kids that have ADHD. I was refered by another parent. I have not found anything to help my ds yet but we are not giving up. We are taking him to a phycologist in Indy soon. ;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 5:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010