What do you do when your child was hit at the playground by another child?

Care to share your experience? What did you say if anything at all? Was the child young or older? Did it happen more than once by the same child? Kids will be kids? Do you teach your child to hit back at some point?

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 11:51 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• my son came home with bruises on his back and told me that a kid was kicking him in the back when he was trying to go down the slide. I was so mad. I asked him why he didnt go to the teachers and he said that the teachers tell them they need to work out the problems themselves and not tattle. I was flaming mad. He said they get sad faces for being tattle tales. I confronted the teacher and she admitted that they teach the kids to confront the problems on there own but she wants them to tell on kids for hitting. My problem though was just that they had put fear into my son about coming to them that he didnt even want to come to them about this kid hitting. I also went to the admin. She had a talk to the teacher ... and the mom of that kid. I also told my son if that kid hits him again he better go tell and that if nothing gets done about it after he tells he better knock the shit out of him
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I corrected the other child. The parent wasn't anywhere near and wasn't paying attention. They did give me a dirty look but if they aren't gonna watch their child, I'll be damned if they are gonna hit my baby and not get corrected.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i always tell her to hit back, but only if it was meant. But sometimes the kids are bigger, and when they are and i see a really annoying kid, i just take her aside and talk to that kid and warn him not to do it again.not in a mean way though, because kids will be kids.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have this thing for violence, BUT I tell my 15 year old son and my two nieces that if a child hit you then you have the divine right to defend yourself, but nowadays kids go home mad and they come back with weapons to see revenge, so I just tell them to go to the principal or tell a teacher, if nothing happens there, then I'll get involved. As for a playground, I tell my nieces to go play somewhere else if a child is being mean, and if the child follow you there, then come to me and let me know. Kids will be kids, but we all know there are some mean half-raised kids with no proper upbringings. It is sad to say this, but "MOST" parents do not correct their children to know what is right and wrong, and our kids have to pay for it.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• children will be children. teach them each to make up an play together an be friends.
    queeny2

Answer by queeny2 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We were at the park once when another kid hit my son. My son was maybe 20 months at the time and this little boy was maybe 3. It wasnt a big deal in my opinion, my son ran past him and the little boy put his arm out and hit him (not hard at all) on the arm. My son didnt even notice let alone flinch. However this kids mom saw and damn near dragged him off the playground fuming mad and yelled at him. While I agree she should have done something, I didnt think it was THAT big of a deal. But her kid so..
    There was another time we were at a play area when an older kid (maybe 5) kept running as fast as he could and at one point completely ran over my son. Im not saying it was on purpose but it sure wasnt on accident because he ran straight at my son with nothing to stop him from running AROUND him. The kids dad saw and apologized to me and told the kid to stop but I think THAT should have been a bigger deal. My son was really hurt.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• This sounds sad. However I had my kids at the pool and some little shit tried drowning my oldest. I pulled her up and told the parents. They said boys will be boys, and oh hunny stop. He did it again I told them again they said the same thing then I told my kids to play at the other side of the pool. He did it again this time I had to physically pull the shit off my kid. I flipped and told him next time I would drown his damn ass, His mom flipped and I told her to shut up or I drown her ass to. Of course hitting isn't as extreme this kid could've killed mine. Why because boys will be boys? WTF
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010