Can you relate??

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/07/26/marriage.communication/index.html?hpt=Sbin

I can't, been married 38 years and we still indulge in heavy conversations!!!!! how about you?

Asked by older at 11:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • My husband and I still have deep and hilarious conversations with each other. He's my walking buddy and we always have something to talk about, whether current events, family or our children. We still make each other laugh and sometimes we ponder deep thoughts. I truly feel I picked my soul mate.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• really? We've been together for ages, and one of us is constantly running our mouths. I think you have to come up with new things to talk about though. Current events are always interesting, what the kids did- we are both amazed at the kids we produced.

I think people stop working at being interesting.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:58 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Sure it happens, especially after the kids are gone. It takes work to get back to thinking and talking about something else. I like to talk to my husband about some things and not others. His job is fine but politics, not so. Even though he feels the same as I do he freaks out about things and I just don't see the reason to get all wacked out about it. If it's brought up I usually try and shut it down before he goes all nuts over it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I can see how it happens. I have only been married 10 years, but when you have young kids they tend to take up a good portion of your time during meals (asking questions, being reminded to take bites of food they are trying to avoid, interrupting adults while they are having a conversation). I find that meal time is the hardest time to have conversation with DH. If we really want to have a good dinner and be able to relax we feed the kids first and then have a meal together after that. They usually aren't that interested in interrupting us when they aren't sitting at the table with food in front of them.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Hubby and I use to talk heavy before marriage but he's shut down on me and doesn't talk much anymore no matter how much i try. One time he told me to shut up that I talk to much....
    The night before he deployed we actually stayed u a few hours talking like the old times and that was really nice. He actually said he wants to get back to how we were before marriage and kids and start talking with me more and apologized. Hopefully he comes back thinking that way.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My dh & I can relate. I am a stay at home mom. We haven't been to church. I can't go & visit him at work (thanks to what happened on 9/11). Our families live many hours from us. I have 3 friends, besides my family, that I talk to occasionally. Unless it is serious, I refuse to leave punishment of our children until dh gets home. I want him to enjoy his time off of work. Until recently, when I went back to school, I didn't have much to say to dh. When I back to school, I was really happy. I finally had something worth saying to him. I feels so good to have these conversations again.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Mine is very introspective. I like to flap. The other day, after a long 10 hour holiday weekend drive, he told me I talked as much as my 12 year old nephew (who never shuts up). Yes, sometimes I'll bet he wishes he could muzzle my mouth :0
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I can relate. . .but when you are around someone all the time like my Dh and I are. . . you loose things to talk about like how was your day and what did you do today. . . cause you already know these things. . .lol. . . it doesn't effect our relationship though. . . I mean I prefer when he is not talking ;) cause I can think of other things to do with his mouth. . .haha
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I can relate too. I am an English/lit teacher for heaven's sake! Words, discussion, and such are my life! My husband nods and smiles a lot!
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Mine stopped talking once he came back from his second deployment. We used to have deep and intense conversations, but now we do not. Our favorite place to talk was in the car on long road trips. Before he went to bed, we would talk for a while. Now he just nods in agreement and murmurs when I try to engage him in conversation. Or he only talks about work. It's kind of sad. He is in a place that I cannot reach him and refuses to get help of any type.

Just thought I would share that...
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010