How to get co-sleeping baby in her crib without CIO?

I've seen some moms post a link to advice for gently getting a co-sleeping baby in their crib. Anyone know the link?

I Ferbered my first 2 babies, but this 3rd baby is super sensitive and gets hysterical in her crib at night (naps just fine in it during the day). Co-sleeping isn't a good option any more. She wakes the moment I get out of baby. So, right now I'm going to bed at 8 and staring at the ceiling because she won't sleep unless I'm there. I can't even get up to go to the bathroom without her waking and the moment she wakes she starts crawling around, so I can't leave her for even a minute.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 11:55 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How about staying in the room at night with her until she falls asleep? This is what I did. I would put her down...change her bedtime routine a little so she associates it with the new sleeping arrangements. I would put my rocking chair next to the crib and read a book (with book light silently) so she would know I was there. After a couple of nights, I would move the chair closer to the door. After about 2 weeks, I was at the door and I would leave the room. I would only let her fuss for 5 minutes then check on her, then let her fuss for 10 minutes and check on her, then 15...lengthening the time by 5 minutes each time. We never made it to 15 minutes though. She realized that even though I'm not in the room, I will come if she really needs me.

Good Luck!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son would actually upset himself so much that he would throw up... So I understand your feelings here. I started by rocking them to sleep and placing them in the crib asleep... This helped them to get used to sleeping without my body there... Then we worked on getting to sleep on their own... We took it in stages...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• it gets better, but if you need to do something then read this: jay gordan changing sleep patterns in the family bed
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Try reading "The no cry -sleep solution" it has some great tips!
    Be consistent and get a routine going..bath, book, bed. We did the rocking to sleep thing mentioned above and it worked for us. It does take time so don't loose heart!
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 2:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I read the no cry sleep solution 3 times. Once while pregnant with each child. The Pantley method of gently breaking th latch before baby falls asleep is great advice. But the book doesn't really help me with sleep. It just says repeat, repeat, repeat. At night time. I change her for bed, read a book, nurse, and she gets super sleepy, I lay her down and she pops awake and screams, so just like the book says I go back to nursing, then laying back down, and agains she screams. I repeat about 5 or 6 times and by that time I'm exhausted and worn out and then just give up and put her in bed with me.

As I type this, she's napping right now in her crib. I just don't understand why she naps so well in her bed, but screams in her crib at night.
    ThrivingMom

Comment by ThrivingMom (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Daytime has activity..movement...the sound of warm bodies. She can hear goings on and it isn't dark which is very frightening. Darkness is vast and doesn't feel safe.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Amileegirl, she has a white noise machine that I run during naps and at night to try and help with producing a consistant noise level. And I hate the dark, so all three kids have a big, honkin' night light in their rooms. It's super bright so I don't have to squint even without my glasses when I check on them. But, I do understand that even with these 2 things that night time is different.
    ThrivingMom

Comment by ThrivingMom (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• try a crib mattress on the floor beside your bed. Lay beside her till she falls asleep and then you can get up.  doesn't wake baby because the mattress doesn't move when you get up!

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010