I see NO PARENTING here!

Is there a certain time that you are supposed to have your children in the house by? Here where I live, there was a THREE year old out until 10pm BY HERSELF with her 8 year old brother. I NEVER see her parents, she's always running around by herself here in the park at the apts. I don't even know what her mom looks like! But I do know that she's mean, and bossy, and NEEDS some parenting. I'd like to be outside with my DD and not have to worry about this little girl! (She always wants to be pushed on the swing, and stuff that her MOM AND DAD are supposed to be there to do! I guess what I'm asking is, is there anything I can do about this? Is there a "curfew" for little people at night?

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She can get in trouble, but I don't know the whole situation so I would not actually judge her.

If you feel the baby is in danger the right thing to do is call the police or the big D. Which is very unfortunate, but you have to be sure your doing the right thing for the kids not the parents, as for big sis or brother watching the kid. I don't see anything wrong with it, unless she is abusing her kids by making them watch them and never watching them, or works all the time and they help out and are compensated. You have to look at the whole picture, don't judge a book by the cover.

I know my kids like to baby sit, but I limit it the time, and my babies are older. 6/7/11/14. Good luck, it is your call really...

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I had something like this happen to me where I used to live. I got in touch with our apartment manager because in our lease it said that he had to attend our kids outside until they were a certain age. Then she told me to write down every time this child was out without their parents. So I did, then I took it to the office where I lived and they called the police and let them know the approx times at night. the police then "circled" the area the a few times a night and finally caught this child outside with no parents. the parents had CPS called on them because I wasnt the only one that called. Here the parents were never at home. they were always away and they would leave this toddler at home with a 7 year old girl. some great parenting!
    branmomma32

Answer by branmomma32 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It depends on where you live. You might ask her brother if her parents work at night, or you could find out where they live and leave an anonymous note that you don't feel it's safe for her to be out by herself. You could also call CPS and let them know you are worried about her being abducted or hurt. It's not your business, unfortuntately, but it is nice of you to care about her well being. If she does not have an active parent being involved in her life, being mean and bossy may be the way she gets attention. Call the police department and ask about curfews. If you really are concerned about her safety, call them. You could also call the apartment office, and ask if they know who she is.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would contact the Manager. I have seen it happen all to often, kids being left to fend for themselves
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• wow, this is really sad, I don't know the whole situation, maybe the mother has a disability or something but it's still not ok to leave her child out that late, I feel bad for the little girl. I can't just jumping out and saying call CPS but sometimes that the only option out there. Would she be better of in foster care or would she be better of at home with some intervention? This is tricky, Maybe in her home she endures more which is why she likes to be outside, Maybe you should let the landlord know. if CPS is called they'll obviously make the better judgement of the childs safety.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree with PP. CPS will straighten the parents out really quick!
    jamiesmom1

Answer by jamiesmom1 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• In the military community, ages newborn to 9 have to be consistantly monitored by parents at all times which means if they are outside you are outside, and from 10-16 they can be out alone until 9 PM. As long as they are checked up on regularly! I allow my 8 year old son to play out front alone for 30 min, periods, bt he is inside by 6 PM!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• In general I ignore how other people parent - unless a child is in danger and I need to call 911, intervein now for safety, or make a report to social services. If it does not meet criteria for social services, and it is just "poor parenting" per my perspective, nothing that can be done. Sad - but it certainly makes me more aware of my own parenting style and what I need to do to continue to be a good parent to my own child.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010