how to get rid of maggots? what to do?

ok so i live in a houseing community. garbaged was picked up last thursday. they left a bag int he can i think it was full of dirty diapers. now i have maggots crawling all over my garbag can!! i lifted up the lid and the fell all over the groun. i tried to use some kitchen cleaner but theres alot of them and there deeep down inside the can too.
how do you kill maggots?
and what should i do? should i call my landlord ?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 12:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• bleach will kill them. maybe put some in a spray bottle.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• maybe bleach should work!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Omg Sandra, i am reading this and was trying to figure out if I posted this and just forgot that I did! Exact same thing happened to me and OMG I got into the shower with a scouring pad... It was the grossest thing I have ever seen in my entire life! Luckily my house is under renovation and the contractor took care of it all for me because I just couldn't deal with it... Something had a heat sgtroke in my garage and died behind some boxes and I guess the flies laid eggs on it and you know.... UGHHHHHHHHH DISGUSTING!!!! They poured bleached on them and thats what killed them. First they tried bug spray but they just scattered. hard core obviously... I have never felt more icky in my life just seeing that... lol
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• bleach
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 7:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• borax or bleach. . . GL. . .I would freak out! I hate maggots. . .they give me the "willy's"
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I guess I wouldn't really do anything. I mean they will just turn into flies and fly away.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• yeah no i feel like i need a fraking shower! this is soo nasty!
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Eeeeewwww!!! :( I would contact the landlord and see if he expects you to take care of them. 'Cause if you don't HAVE to, way better to find that out ahead of time! And then... can you wash it out? With a hose? That's what I would do so I could stand as far away as possible....Good luck!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would just take the trash can out and spray it down and any that are on the floor I would sweep up and throw out the door. But maggots are gross, eww. I don't think the landlord would be responsible for maggots because of what you put in the trash can though.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• bleach
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010