what will you do when your teenager " roll eye" at you?

My husband has try to point out his mistake.

liveongrace

Asked by liveongrace at 12:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I guess I've said, "Do you have a problem with that?" or "Did you want to say something?" I try to let them express themselves. I do not necessarily agree or change my own position of the whatever I've said to elicit the eye roll response, but I've been known to listen pretty well and occasionally compromise in some way. They generally speak up instead of eye roll nowadays.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• inside I would be so proud she is thinking for herself and can express herself with trust~outside I would ask for some respect since I rule her world still~I could still get her ugly school clothes~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i would tell them that i understand how stressed they might be. That it's not easy being a teenager and feeling like an adult but still having to follow someone else's rules. But that i don't appreciate eye rolling because it is disrespectful and they need to find a better way to express how they feel.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• "when your teenager"???
    Well... I'm in a boatload oif trouble.
    My 4 year old does it already :) And my 11 year old has for years.
    I ignore it. They get it from me, there's no way I can yell at them about it. It's a facial response. Not really worth the argument, for me. If a teacher should take offense then we'd have a talk about it. But it doesn't really bother me.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 12:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i am a "eye roller", lol. i am sure my daughter will be too. i just cant help it, sometimes i do it with out knowing. i agree with surfcitymom. ha ha, that is awesome!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• LOL... at our house I do more eye rolling than the teens.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• If someone rolls there eyes at you, in this case your teenager, it usually means that they don't agree with what has been said or they are listening but will envitably let the answer roll off of them. The only foreseeable answer is compromise, otherwise they may be tuned out to whats being said.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have been lucky I guess mine wait till around 12 to 13 to start rolling those eyes.A friend told me she believes in all her heart that when puberty hormones get to a certain level they effect the muscles in the eye .So that when the brain thinks idiot parents it triggers a nerve that triggers a muscle that rolls the eye haha .This came at the end of a moms night out with wine.Now I have a hard time not laughing myself.I ask them along with whatever else is going on do they want to discuss respect and the consequences such as more chores that stops it pretty quick for awhile.Then it starts again..Then they out grow it.My 19 yr old daughter and 13 yr old brother were doing some chores together a couple of weeks ago and he rolled his eyes at her instructions.She came complaining to me and was upset I started laughing.I reminded her a couple of years ago she...

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• If I'd just asked her to do something and she rolled her eyes at me I'd probably add another chore and not tell her why. For instance, if I asked her to put away the dishes and she rolled her eyes at me I'd say, "Yeah, I know it sucks. When you get done with the dishes you can sweep and mop too. Thanks!" If she rolled her eyes again after that I'd add another chore. I think she'd get the point pretty quickly.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would tell them to have respect in my home!
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010