How can I help my daughter?

Why does my toddler wake up screaming in the middle of the night?
My daughter has went from a Crib to a toddler bed in the past few months. She did ok with it when she still had her binki, then it came time to take the binki away and she was still doing ok. Then she started having problems falling asleep at night she would scream and cry, so I put a TV in her room to help her fall asleep. I would put a cartoon movie on for her. It was about a month later and she started waking up in the middle of the night screaming, shaking, hiding in her closet, or behind the chair in her room. She doesn't do this when she stays at my mom's house every other weekend. Or when she stays with her other grandparents sometimes. I'm at a loss as to why she is waking up so scared. HELP! She is 2.5 years old.

cowgirlmama

Asked by cowgirlmama at 12:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• TV's do not help children fall asleep. In fact, the kind of light and fast action it gives off actually prevents people from getting the restful type of sleep that we all need. I suggest taking the TV out. ...if she needs noise then put in a radio. If she needs light then put in a night light.

Kids sometimes have bad dreams. Just let her know that they are not real. That you love her and that she is safe.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• TV & night lights have been PROVEN to disturb sleep patterns not only in young children, but adults as well. You are overstimulating her by putting her to bed with a movie- and also disrupting her sleep cycles.

Take the TV out! When she wakes up, comfort her. It is normal at this stage in her development to become more aware, and frightened of things she does not understand. Dreams included.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would also get the television out of her room. I don't think that's a good idea at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Have you asked her what she is afraid of, if she tells you it is a monster or something of the sort, get a spray bottle and tell her it is spray to keep monsters away and spray it for her every night until she gets over it.

Answer by older at 12:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• What's in the room? Is there a spooky toy or something like that? My grandchildren were afraid to sleep in a room where we kept an old talking parrot that was voice activated. When I finally figured out what was causing them trouble and threw the thing away, they slept just fine in that room.
    NannyB.

• Is there a way to find out what if there is something in the room that don't seem ok for her. Can you sleep with/next to her bed for a night or two and figure it out.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 12:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• yeah i would take the tv out & buy cd that are sound southers & put on a low volume that can help
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would ask her and find out why she is so scared and what shes scared of. Maybe the cartoon is scaring her or maybe something she saw is scaring her I'd try to find out what, I have heard that nightmares are common with children, maybe at her next doctors appointment you should tell her doctor. She might have more advice for you, I'd go in her room with her and ask go through things and ask her if she wants to keep it or take it out, you might find whats scaring her so much, or instead of the tv post the glow in the dark moons and stars around her room, I've found that those are better at putting my kids to bed then watching tv.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010