how old is to old to breastfeed

my 4 year old son still wants me to breastfeed him.he points to my breasts when he wants some

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it's a personal decision but imo when they are old enough to ask in a completed sentence for it.
    Dina6742

Answer by Dina6742 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• That is a decision for Mom to make, not society.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It's time to stop when mom and child want to stop. If YOU are ok with nursing him, there is nothing wrong with it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i think 4 is too old. jmo. but if you want to pump you could give that to him.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Eight months?! Thats too young to quit!
    Anonymous

• Doesn't the WHO recognize a minimum of two years? Why would you give a child milk meant for a baby cow when you're producing something designed specifically for her? And why would using a cup interfere with nursing? My daughter takes water in a cup and nurses often. Breast is best. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 1:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think 4 is too old, but that's just my personal opinion.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I don't think there's any age limit on breast feeding. It's up to the mother and child to decide when to wean. I have a couple of friends who went past the fourth birthday. I'm still nursing my youngest and she turned two the beginning of June. We're both happy nursing and I don't see us weaning any time soon. I hate it when people give me a hard time about weaning her. :( It's none of their business!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 1:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• On the actual breast I would say about maybe like 8 months... because at that point they need to learn to start using their cps and such. You could still pump milk, but I would stop that at about 1 year of age and start regular milk. I figure I follow WIC guidelines (for the most part).

With WIC they can have juice and such around 6-8 months and can start using cups and begin to wean a little from the formula or breast. At one year they say to have them weaned and start whole or 2% milk.

All untrue for a BF baby. BF babies DO still use cups and such, just like bottlefed babies. Also, its recommended to wean formula at a year, but nursing is recommended for as long as mutually desired, and some organizations recommend 2 yrs as a minimum.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• With WIC they can have juice and such around 6-8 months and can start using cups and begin to wean a little from the formula or breast. At one year they say to have them weaned and start whole or 2% milk.

That is the "guidelines" for formula fed babies. WIC is stupid anyways, they said my daughter was too short for her age. What the heck am I supposed to do about that?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2010