American Pitbull Terriers?

what do you think of them and are you speaking from experience or just what you have heard? do you like them or not? would you or have you owned them? what was that like if you have?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 1:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Omg i loved our pit. When she passed i cried like a baby. I have 4 kids, 2 special needs. She was amazing with all of them. BTW she was a shelter dog. I would def do it all over again. I've seen many pits who are so sweet and lovey. Ironically, our chinese shar pei was the one who was the more vicious of the two. I think dogs are like people...they can't be judged by their breed :).
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• we are thinking of getting one but have 1 small bixed breed dog not quite sure what she is, 2 cats mostlly ourdoor and our son is almost 20 months so now we are asking around for advice and support on the breed... my brother had one and she was great with the kids and other animals and i have known many others to have them and they have all been very well manered and freindly we just want to make sure before we go and make that kind of commitment
    jaksonsmommy

Comment by jaksonsmommy (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have 1 male pit, a pit/bullmastiff mix male and did have a female pit for about 7 years that just recently passed away. I love them!!! They are all great with my kids my males are kind of hyper with me and my boyfriend but have never jumped or even tried to jump around my kids. I think it's more in how they are raised our are very protective of our yard, house,me and the kids at the same time though I can take them for a walk and they love everyone to death. My mix even pushed my younger daughter on her tire swing he'll put his head down against the swing and literal run to the other side and do that as long as she wants to swing. That got started because she would get on her swing and he'd stand there and the swing would hit him so I think he thinks that is her way of playing with her. I can even leave my back door open and if she tries to go out it without me they will lay in the doorway and not let her out.
    aspiringangel01

Answer by aspiringangel01 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Ran out of room. If you do get a pit I would definately get a puppy and raise it with your kids that way they will be good with your kids. I have a small dog and they both get along fine with him he's actualy the boss of the yard. I also have 2 cats which the pits were raised with so they also get along great :)
    aspiringangel01

Answer by aspiringangel01 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I owned one and he was a big loveable baby! To say that a certain breed is "bad" is silly that would be the same as saying acertain race or ethnicity is bad! His name was Cobalt and he was great with kids, and he was a scardy cat...LOL Please quit judging animal breeds!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• If you mistreat a puppy you get a mean dog, if you mistreat a baby you get a mean person. I don't like lables, but just my own taste, I don't think they are atractive dogs. Just make it a good fit for your family. We went with a Golden Retriever because we have little ones and they are known family/kid dogs that will lick you to death. He is now 5 months old and boy does he ever lick us to death, totally baby and family dog. Good luck in choosing your puppy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2010