What would you ask?

If someone you know and love is dying and wanted to know if you had any questions for them? My grandma is dying and she asked if I had any questions. That really set me back and I still can't think of anything. I asked the usual "are you scared" but beyond that, what should I ask? I am afraid that once she is gone, I would want to ask her a lot, but it would be too late. Any ideas??

PS you know you wanna bump this one ;)

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Ask about her life, her loves, her victories. Learn your family history, all the things she can remember, what she values, what she has cherished the most. Find out what's important to her and why.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Ask her about her childhood, her past experiences.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• About her.
    My Aunt dies and was so close to me, but she waould never talk about herself to me, she was too focused on what was going on in my life. That's how she was with everyone. At her funeral, the speaker asked what her favorite color was, and nobody even knew.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Ask her about your family, HER grandparents and family that passed before you got to know them, and her life as a child. I was 12 when my great grandmother (whom I was very close to) was passing away and for two weeks we went to visit her and I learned so much in those 2 weeks that by the time she died I thought of her as a completely different person.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Are you proud of me?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Before anyone in my family dies I ask them if there is anything left they want to do? If there is, I make it happen. If not, I just tell them that my time with them has been a hoot and I think they rock.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i would ask what they think is important to tell me. some years ago i gave my grandparents memory books - my grandpa's was more fill in the blanks, but grandma liked to write, so hers was more of a journal. i have stories about their lives - their parents, childhood, how they met, wisdom they want to pass on to me. then i got into genealogy so on a bus trip to a casino with my other grandma, i asked her alot of questions - she has had such an interesting life! i learned so much about her childhood, family, marriage and divorce, etc. i'm so glad to have these stories that cannot come from anywhere else and cannot be replaced. and most of all, just let them know you love them and they matter to you as often as possible and in as many ways possible while you have the chance.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Exactly, don't ask about death, ask about her life. What was it like when and where she grew up, what was her relationship with her parents like, what did she do in school, ask about family birthdays, anniversarys and all that. I love geneaology and I can research and find dates and stuff on ancestors, but there is nothing like hearing the stories in person. Where did the family start out, where did they end up, why did they move where and when they did, there are a million things to ask. Ask about your mother/father (which grandparent is this?). Just anything and everything you can think of. Did she like to dance? Who was her first love? All kinds of things!
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 2:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Just talk to her. Tell her you love her, what she means to you. I would love to have more conversations with my brother who is gone. I would take any conversation over none.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would ask if she feels fulfilled.
    echoishername

Answer by echoishername at 3:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010