How often do you get a paps test?

How often should you get a paps test?

marievegan

Asked by marievegan at 1:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Not near as often as I should. I haven't had one since my 6 week checkup after my daughter was born, and she is 5 1/2 now. I think you're supposed to get one once a year unless they've changed it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• There are new guidelines now. It used to be every year, but now if you've had 3 negative paps, you can have then every 2-3 years, I believe.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think you're SUPPOSED to get one every year. I usually do it every 2 years. I see this is in the "Tweens" section though and I don't think paps are necessary for girls under 12 unless you think she might be sexually active or if she's been having problems down there.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I get one every year. If you are on hormonal birth control, they require a pap every year to be able to renew your prescription.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I work for a GYN and even though the guidelines have changed (you should get a pap at 21 yrs old or when sexually active. Then after 3 negative paps you can skip every other year) the doctor still recommends yearly paps. I have seen a few paps that were clean the year before come back with abnormal cells that turn out to be precancerous. I've even seen one girl actually have cancer in situ. That being said, I can't imagine a tween needing a pap unless she is sexually active. If she's having other problems down there you can see a GYN, but that doesn't mean they have to or will do a pap on her.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Once a year but I have had abnormal paps so then they'll ask to see me every 6 months til I get a normal reading.
    My doctor said as long as my daughter is not sexually active we can wait til she's 18 to have her 1st one. She's almost 15 now.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I get one every year.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Are you really getting your 9-11 yr old a pap test??? I personally think that is nuts and dont think my pediatrician would do that on a child that young. Unless your daughter is sexually active that young.... but then I think you have bigger issues.

Or was this question put in the wrong area?

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2010