My 2 year old son hits!!!

My son just turned 2. He's voilent. Just kickes and punches and scaretches. Not just me but his 18 month old cousin and his 5 year old cousin, his dad, uncles, aunts...pretty much everyone. If he doesn't get his way, he just goes off. Time outs and taking toys away does not work. Nothing works!!!!! Please help!

Noahsmom32825

Asked by Noahsmom32825 at 7:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• pop his butt when he does it. my son doesn't hit or bite. the first time he did either, he got a pop on the hand when he hit, a pop on the mouth when he bit. he never did it again.
    Anonymous

• He actually gets worse if i pop him. He hits harder and screams louder.
    Noahsmom32825

Answer by Noahsmom32825 at 7:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• make him stay in time out longer... my son had been hitting me alot and i made him go to time out for 15 min and he fell asleep or i make him go to his room and stay there until he is calm
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I went thru something similar with my son (who is now 5)..
    His problem was that he would get frustrated at whatever.. and couldn't express himself like he wanted to.. which only frustrated him worse.
    At first i tried to just pop his butt.. and or time out.. nothing worked..
    I finally would take him off to a quiet area.. and sit him on my lap.. and hold him in a hug (so he wouldn't hurt himself)..while he finished out his fit of frustration.. i would sit calmly.. singing a soft song or humming. Me being calm.. seemed to settle him down.. and he would be able to relax and deal with whatever it was that frustrated him.
    Now at 5 whenever he gets upset.. he just walks away to a quiet area and sits on his own until he is ready to deal with things..
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 1:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2008