Does anyone know about Florida's maternity leave laws and if maternity leave is paid!!???

I don't know why this didn't cross my mind before, but i have 9 weeks now until my husband and my first child is due. I really want to take the full 6 week maternity leave, but something just crossed my mind today!! is it paid?? I'm completely devistated by this! If maternity leave isn't paid, i don't think i'll be able to take off anytime after my baby is born!!!! i can't afford to stay home without some kind of paid compensation, and i thought, after all the stuff i've read on FMLA that it was paid time off... but now i'm starting to panic and realize that i might have been mistaken!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS HELP AND A LIGHT AT THE END OF THIS TUNNEL!!! i want to enjoy my baby when she arrives and not have to worry about rushing back to work the day i get released from the hospital! HELP! :(

JenaandSean

Asked by JenaandSean at 2:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Maternity leave is not paid...You can use vacation time to tide you over if you have any.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• lol This is America. We're too damn cheap to pay for maternity leave.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Maternity leave just means that you will have your job still. It's not paid.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• "Under Florida law, private employers are not required to provide leave of any kind. The legislature concluded that these matters are best determined by the employer/employee contract. The federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), however, allows qualified employees to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to attend to family or medical matters, including birth or adoption of a child, care for an immediate family member, or care for the employee's own health. Both men and women are covered under the FMLA; thus, a father can take paternity leave.

To qualify under the FMLA, a worker must be a full-time employee of a company with at least 50 employees and have worked for the company for no less than 12 months. In addition, the employee must have worked at the company for at least 1250 hours during the preceding 12 months."

So it depends on how many employees at your location and if your company offers FMLA.

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• ^^^ sorry, meant to say "if your company offers paid maternity."

This was taken from this site: http://www.weblocator.com/attorney/fl/law/empind.html#200
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• it is true, it is only if your employer is willing to do that. Very few offer paid maternity leave. Talk to your boss. That is really the only thing you can do. Maybe together you can come up with maybe a partial pay, then make up the time later as required.
    I sell life insurance, so I really work when I want too. Try and find something you can do in your free time to make money.
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It depends on your company's policies. My company allows us to use paid sick time for maternity leave.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Everyone is right, there is no ''maternity leave" per se in FL (I'm in FL). Just FMLA which says that if your employer has over 50 employees then you are able to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave and they have to hold your job (not necessarily your position though, just a job). The reason why I pointed out the 50 employees is because if your employer has less than 50 employees they are exempt from this. Now, your employer may offer maternity leave by way of disability and your pay will be based on what your disability qualifications are. For example, I had worked for my employer for 10 years by the time I had my first child. I qualified for 6 weeks of full pay which is all I could collect as far as disability went because your doctor releases you for work at 6 weeks. I took another 6 weeks under FMLA (well all of it was FMLA). Not all employers offer disability for maternity leave though, you will need to find out.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• If you have short term disability, maternity leave may be covered (usually at 60%)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2010