what to do about a screamer??

I have a daughter who just turned 2 and she is an absolute screamer!! I dont know what to do. I tell her no screaming, I pop her mouth, it doesnt matter she still screams. When I put her down for a nap she angrily screams MOMMAY. any advice would be appreciated

jennmarae

Asked by jennmarae at 7:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont give in to the screams it will only make her think the screaming is what works try letting her scream it out. Tell her striaght up that you will listen to what she wants when she asks you in calm voice. And then put her in a scream area till she is done.
    Anonymous

• tell her that you can talk to mommy when you quit screaming. They will still scream, but they will stop so they can talk to you. and maybe she doesn't want to take a nap. My middle one quit taking naps at 25 months.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• If she's expressing anger you need to address her heart issues. She shouldn't be angry and defiant like this. Children can be taught to have a joyful heart and should so that they don't learn to walk in anger for the rest of their lives. Screaming is a sign of her wanting to control things and that she thinks anger can do it. Squash it now. Blessings!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 12:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• When my kids got loud, I tended to get louder so they would hear me. I found that to be a bad cycle. If I don't respond to their volume with my own volume, whatever I do works better. Does she see alot of yelling around her? She may be modeling the what she sees. You may have to get others in your family to quiet it down before you see success with her. That's what I had to do. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2008