Lino Lakes, MN English Only!

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/07/26/lino-lakes-english-only/

This 92% white suburb of Minneapolis is going to propose the "official language" of Lino Lakes English, even though they currently don't translate city documents into other languages, nor has anyone asked them to.\

Xenophobia, anyone?

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• OF COURSE! Minneapolis is Prince's hometown, you know. All the cool guys dressed like Prince. That was at the height of his popularity, and in Minneapolis, there is some serious Prince worship.

Girl I LOVE Prince NOW! lol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• So what,the entire country should declare English as our official language.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Stacy I do not care if I hear other languages spoken.I just think our official language should be English and all should know how to speak English.I do not feel we should all be obligated to speak whatever other language..nor to accomodate evertyhing to people who do not know English.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You know, braille is expensive too, maybe we should cut that out as well. And the ASL signers, get rid of them. Too expensive. You know, deaf people could learn to read lips and talk well enough to be understood, they should assimilate, right?

That falls under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Are you suggesting that an unwillingness to learn a language is a disability?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Sounds like a good idea to me!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Just because you are scared of hearing a language other than english?

Now there was quite an assumption. Do you have a clue how much money is spent on translation and printing of documents in multiple languages? Plus the money spent to employ people as translators? And bilingual classrooms? If those things were optional and able to be cut when the budget wasn't there to do it, it would save billions. More importantly, the majority of those savings would be at a state and local level, where budgets are hurting even worse than at the federal level.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• NP answered that..

Good on Geno's resturant!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Oh, and as for the cost, an additional $500-700 per student, plus the salaries or contract costs of translation (avg salary $50k/yr) multiplied by every county/state/school district/municipality, plus the cost of paper (talk about killing some trees) to print multiples of every document. Or in other words, billions.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Why? What possible reason could there be for this? Just because you are scared of hearing a language other than english? What?

Isn't that simplifying it a bit???
    Saving money sounds like a good enough reason to me.

I am Hispanic, I find Spanish to be a pleasant enough language to hear, and I have no problem with this.

Just because English is declared the official language, no one is making it illegal to speak something else!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yeah, right! lol you pulled that number out of the air.

Sure I did. Case Studies of Delivery and Cost of Bilingual EducationMedian salary of translators and interpreters. Federal budget summaries. I'm not going to look up the state budgets of all 50 states, or the county budgets of all 3141 counties, or the operations budgets of all 16000 school districts.  I was already past a billion.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2010