Have you ever made a whole chicken in a crock pot?

I decided to make ours in a crock pot today...too hot to turn the oven on.
I've never made a whole chicken in the crock pot before...hope it turns out!

How did yours turn out? What was your recipe?What did you make with it?
Inquiring mind wants to know,lol.
:)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• OMG this is a delicious way to make chicken!!!! I actually did this today, and I can smell that it's almost done. Use a whole chicken, add one thinly sliced onion, one sliced lemon, then top with a bottle of barbeque sauce mixed with 3/4 cup of coca-cola. It might sound a little strange but it is SOOOO good and moist and tender, I can't wait to eat it. I'm cooking scalloped potatoes and green beans with mine. Yum!
    mommymela87

Answer by mommymela87 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It falls apart,good though. I add herbs and seasoning salt and a half cup of water.It'll be very tender

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It comes out really moist and juicy. Meat falls off the bones. ,..Only thing I don't like is the skin doesn't get crispy. You can remedy that by putting it in the oven for 20-30 mins at the end, but it's a pain in the butt. I have no idea what I put on it at the time.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Spicy Roast Chicken

* 1 whole chicken
    * 4 tsp. salt
    * 2 tsp. paprika
    * 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (you can cut this down if you don't care for the "heat")
    * 1 tsp. onion powder
    * 1 tsp. thyme
    * 1 tsp. black pepper
    * 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Combine all the spices and rub under the skin of the chicken. Rub a bit on the inside too, and any leftover on the skin. Put it in the crockpot, cover and cook on low for 8 hours. No need to add liquid.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It will be delish.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I made one years ago that was delicious. Salt and pepper, celery leaves over it. A small amount of water. You can also put some carrots in it if you like, some basil, or use broth instead of water, but I didn't.

Answer by Bmat at 2:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'm a butter junkie, not healthy but I'm happy :) But yes, I love making things in my crockpot as it's so simple and I don't have to worry about supper being done especially when I'm rushed that day. I've made several whole chickens in it! They're delicious. I use two heaping tablespoons of butter, lemon pepper, Mrs. Dash regular, onion, and garlic powder. I just put the butter in and then add all the spices on top. Let it cook on low all day and then it's done. Like butterflyblue19 says, it will fall apart, but it's so tender. The only fall back to this method? The fact that the skin doesn't have that crisp that I love so much, but that is fixed by throwing it on a cookie sheet and broiling for 3-5 minutes. Hope yours comes out delicious!
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 2:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I rolled up foil in the four corners of my crock pot and laid the chicken on top. That way the bottom and the legs/thighs didn't get too wet, I don't care for the skin to be all wet.

The meat just fell apart from the bone and it was sooo good. I use poultry seasoning by McCormicks and some sage.

DeenieW

Answer by DeenieW at 2:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It turns out great. Super tender. Put it on low and cook about 5 hours. Be sure to take the giblets out before cooking. I pour a bottle of BBQ sauce on mine before turning the crockpot on.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I've done it many ways:
    bbq sauce
    mexican with cumin, garlic, onion, chili powder and salt
    Italian with basil, oregano, garlic, onion, and salt
    French with rosemary and thyme and salt
    Asian with teriyaki sauce

And the skin doesn't get crispy :( I'm too lazy to put it in the oven after, but that just means I eat less fat lol!
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 3:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010