What is a good paint color to use for a boy's room that is small and has minimal light?

My boys share a room and we still have nursery type theme going. We just got new bunkbeds and I would like to repaint the room. Our home is small and the room is not very big, but most of their toys are in another room. I want something comforting but brings in light during the day.

DeenieW

Asked by DeenieW at 2:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• light blue or soft green. both are calming and soothing, and in pale tones will reflect light.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Light blue? LOL I know that's cliche but the only thing I can think of/
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Bright yellow.

Answer by older at 2:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• light blue or a light green! u could do a light yellow if its not to girly if u want! keep things light it helps brighten spaces! dark colors make a room look small!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Something light. A light blue or green or even a cream color would probably work best. Having 2 boys who share a room myself, I would stay away from white. And the easiest to clean is a semi-gloss or a satin finish (I have a semi-gloss in my boys' room and a satin in my daughter's - the semi-gloss is the easiest to keep clean).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 2:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son has a smallish room. His room is painted in a light green and it has two of the walls are accent walls with the green and then white paint sponged sparingly over top. It looks really nice. He has matching curtain that are plaid...with greens,blues and whites and the blinds are bamboo pull strings.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It's currently sage green on the bottom and cream on the top and we had a classic pooh banner in the middle. That's been peeled away. I really like the green and the beige but I do NOT want the hassle of putting another banner in the middle LOL that was NOT fun.
    DeenieW

Comment by DeenieW (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• What if you paint a stripe where the banner was? A nice light brown, a deeper shade of green, or even a medium blue? You could upgrade the room with very little time and at very low cost by just taping off that center stripe where you otherwise would install another wallpaper border. It would be a look that could last for years. Just switch out the artwork as the boys grow. (My two boys always shared a room too)
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 2:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Benjamin Moore #1660 "Polar Ice". It's a sweet soothing light blue. I used it in my DS room and it's soft and cozy but not drab. If you don't want to spend the $ on Benjamin Moore paint then just get the swatch for the color & have it mixed anywhere. They can copy the color at Home Depot & Lowes.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I've heard that painting a small room a light neutral color, then ONE WALL (preferably the one furthest from the doorway) a darker color (brown, blue, green, whatever) will make the room appear larger. Our bedroom is this way and it works. Our room is a light beig-y yellow with a dark toffee/tan color on one wall. Maybe you could still use the beige & green, but in a different way.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010