Severe Escema

My son is almost two and has severe Escema. He has been on so many steriod creams and lotions that do not help him. He has been seen by a Dermatologists several times but nothing seems to work. Does ur LO have Escema or do you know anything that would help give some relief to my son.

kgmmw

Asked by kgmmw at 2:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My nephew has severe eczema. My sister had to do some food tests like removing certain foods from diet and figured out he was allergic to eggs and peanuts. I also think dyes in foods cause allergies. Start feeding your child a simple diet, like bananas, chicken, rice and peas. Add a new thing every few days to see if the skin reacts. Stay away from chocolate and processed foods for a while til you figure it out. Good luck!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• have you had him allergy tested at all for foods? MY son had bad eczema when he was 1 due to milk./dairy - it didn't take long for us to know he was lactose intolerant.. but that can be a common cause of eczema.. not always of course but its worth a shot...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I havent had him tested for any food allergies, but thats a good idea bc my husband is Lactose Intolerant and that could be his problem. He is on a regular diet he eats rice and chicken alot. It just really concerns me because he scratches and scratches and it gets worse and spreads, Im worried about infection as well.
    kgmmw

Comment by kgmmw (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would worry too about infection. Do you currently use Eucerin? You can ask your pediatrician for a medicated cream Rx. My nephew uses one. It's a thick cream that helps him to not itch so much, plus it has antibiotics in it. I don't know the name but there are options out there. Definitely try removing processed foods from diet and cut out milk til you figure it out. Might be wheat too, some people with eczema are allergic to wheat.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have used Eucerin before, as well as many other steriod creams. It will clear it up for a couple of days and then come right back. as for wheat he really doesnt eat anything that has wheat in it. He doesnt eat bread because he doesnt like it.
    kgmmw

Comment by kgmmw (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• my daughter has a reaction to coconut, and very likely something else. we find coconut in almost all soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, laundry detergent, even toothpaste!!!
    once we found the main culprit we avoid it as much as possible!
    we did try eliminating dairy first, and gluten second.
    oatmeal baths helped dd's skin quite a bit, so we figured it was not a gluten issue!
    try an elimination diet like pp mentioned, and see what you get!
    try dairy first, since your husband has issues with it. don't forget that includes butter, and chocolate too! read the labels of your bath products too, there could be milk in them.
    you could try cutting back on the number of baths, and you could try using a pure lotion or oil. we are using jojoba oil, and shea butter right now.
    i wish you the best of luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We had our son tested for household allergens...dust, dogs, cats, etc...and nothing showed up. Maybe he should be tested for other allergens.

We cut out all scents from things he uses, shampoos, laundry detergent, sunscreen, etc and it has helped so much.

jms124

Answer by jms124 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree with the others. Eczema is not necessicarily an allergic reation but it *CAN* be. It is worth checking it out. If you're not finding relief for your son with the help of the dermotolgist, I'd try the allergist. If he is allergic to something, removing it may help clear his skin.

My DD is allergic to tree nuts, among other things. We discovered it after applying a body lotion that contained sweet-almond oil. We were putting it on TO help clear a patch of mild eczema. Instead it made the flare up worse AND covered her in a rash head to toe. We washed her up and made the assumption was allergic to the almond oil - we already knew she was allergic to peanuts and were avoiding tree nuts in edible form as it was. When we got back to her allergist we added a tree nut test to the recheck on peanuts he was already doing. Sure enough - she was allergic to almonds and walnuts.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Take him to an allergist for a food panel rast test for IgE & IgG antibodies. Steer clear of lotions that contain petroleum products including mineral oil. Shea butter is awesome on eczema.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Most creams made for eczema (both OTC and R) contain ingredients known to aggravate the condition; stay away from them. Elidel (Rx) is known to cause cancer so avoid that as well. Avoiding dairy can be helpful, as can improving his immune system; you really need to treat from the inside out. Coconut oil (organic, virgin, expeller-pressed, hexane-free) and evening primrose oil are very helpful (both can be ingested and applied topically). Switch out any products (shampoo, soap, etc.) for ones that don't contain petrochemicals, parabens, SLS, or any ingredients which will only exacerbate the condition. My daughter suffered from eczema from the time she was born; we tried everything our mainstream doc and dermatologist recommended but it wasn't until we did everything listed above - some at the recommendation of our DAN, others the result of personal research and experimentation, that we beat it.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2010