Can't lose weight

I would like to lose about 15 lbs, but can't seem to shift it no matter what I do.
I eat about 1200 calories a day, often less.
There's no soda in the house. I don't have a sweet tooth, so I don't eat cookies or candy or chocolate.
I cook very healthy, low-fat meals with lots of fresh vegetables.

I can't do much exercise because of a knee problem. 30 minutes of mild walking guarantees pain for the next 6 hours. Stationary bikes are even worse. So, cardio is pretty much out, as are most types of "fun" exercise like dancing or martial arts.

And this weight refuses to shift! I'm hesitant to go below 1000 calories a day because I feel awful when I don't eat enough. Lethargic, depressed, headaches, etc. I mean, I've done everything right, but I just can't lose weight.

Any ideas?

SusanTheWriter

Asked by SusanTheWriter at 2:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• yes, you are not eating enough at all. 1200 calories is what i would be eatin for a diet & i am 5'2" & weigh about 136. Your body is on self preservation mode, meaning it thinks its starving. So, any food you are eating is going to be metabolized real slow & any fat in the food you are eating will get stored. 1500-1600 calories is what you should be eating a day. Have you ever been to caloriecount.com? There you can add all your personal information & they will calculate for free how much calories you need to maintain, but lose weight. Since you knee is busted, you can just try moving around a lot. Clean a lot, lift some weights with your arms...etc. You can find lots of work outs for folks with a busted knee. Here is a link to calorie count, love this site! It's very helpful for anyone trying to lose or gain weight.

www.caloriecount.about.com
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• How much do you weigh & how tall are you? 1200 calories might not be enough. If your body feels as if it's not getting enough calories to survive, then your metabolism will SLOW WAY DOWN. You metabolism is probably totally shot & you might have to stop dieting for a while to boost it back up again, then start over. Do you drink an immense amount of water? Lack of water will also inhibit your weight loss. Some people swear that by drinking way to much water Will help them lose weight. It keeps your tummy full & forces your metabolism to keep on going. But, if you're not eating enough & not drinking enough, you're not going to lose weight.

So, how tall are you & how much do you weigh. I can help you figure out how many calories you should be eating.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Have you tried lifting weights? I understand that can boost your metabolism, once you really get into it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Here's an article about reviving your metabolism. You will have to eat more, but just choose wise foods. You don't have to eat crap to revive your metabolism. Start eating a little more every day until you reach about 1800-1900 calories, stay there for a bit (you won't gain weight if you stay at around 1800 cal.) then go back down to about 1500-1600 calories. Once you start losing a little, you can go down to about 1400, but i would not go below that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• ALSO, make sure you snack during the day, drink TONS of water, i mean as much water as you can! And try to lift weights. It's true that lifting weights helps boost your metabolism. When you lift weights, your body is working all day long to help build that broken muscle back up & you will burn calories just sitting after you lift weights.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'm 5'6 and weigh 153.
    SusanTheWriter

Comment by SusanTheWriter (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• But if I start eating more, won't I just balloon up? As it is, I already don't have a lot of clothes that fit because I've been putting off buying bigger sizes.
    SusanTheWriter

Comment by SusanTheWriter (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Go to the link below... this site has been a complete and total life change for me! It is FREE, it either plans meals for you or you can plan your own, it plans work outs for you or you can plan your own... plus there are a ton of great people on there. :)

I LOVE it!

Found it via a question I asked a while back and I lost wieght almost immediately. :)

Free Online Diet Plan at SparkPeople.com
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:30 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'd like to recommend boosting your protein intake as well. Fruits and vegetables are great but you need to get lots of dense protein, too.

Your body will start to regulate after a while so bump up your calories for a week or two and then slowly start to cut back. Or don't. 1200 calories isn't very much. You'd do well to add calories and stay there. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you go below 1000/day.

Like one of the previous posters said, you're at a healthy weight already. But if you really need to lose this weight to feel comfortable, then good luck to you.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 4:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2010