Help! I'm nervous. My 11 yr old girl is starting middle school this year. She is entering 6th grade. I just think 6th grade is too young to start jr. high school as I didn't start it until 7th grade.

Avon_Girlie

Asked by Avon_Girlie at 3:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Uh..everyone starts middle school in six grad.. There isn't much you can do.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I started middle school in 6th grade. Some have changed and 6th is in elementary school, some have a separate school for 5th and 6th then it's to high school in 7th.
    It's hard letting them grow, huh? :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Well where I grew up at we didn't have middle school. We had Jr. High which was 7th & 8th grade. I just think 6th graders shouldn't be in a school with 8th graders its. They are in totally different mind levels.
    Avon_Girlie

Comment by Avon_Girlie (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think they all do 6th grade is jr. high... It has to be a big step! I feel you MAMA!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• MANY schools are 6th+ for junior high. Are you worried that she's gonna be influenced by the older kids? Its gonna be like that in high school too you now. Just make sure you give her all the appropriate talks, have good communication with her, and make sure you aren't allowing situations where she could get herself into trouble. There's really nothing you can do. There are going to be infuences at all ages, from all types of people, EVERYWHERE.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• my DD had to start as a 6th grader~they take away their playground and give them benches! dressing for PE, lockers, 6 class changes and they all that changes 4 times a year~dances...the teachers know it is a big deal and a whole lot transitions...that is what is seems they are teaching.

a shake up, all our kids get school organizer and they teach them how to do it and make parents sign off. they get to do clubs after school like girl power (self esteem group) surfing, cross county run.

it is so funny to see the boys..they are so small compared to the girls who seem to be all estrogenizing~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Supperr - not everyone starts middle school in 6th grade. In our school district in Cali, 7th grade is the start to middle school.
    And, op - Just think of it as starting 6th grade and don't be hung up that it's middle school. She will still be treated as the "younger" ones on campus and hopefully make some cool "older" life-long friends.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I started middle school in 6th grade and did just fine. So did all the other kids I knew. But as for everyone starting middle school in 6th grade, they don't. The middle schools here are 7th through 9th grade.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My school was really small, so we had grades 6 through 12 in the same building. So, as a 6th grader I had lunch, shared a bathroom and halls with seniors. Breathe mommy, it will be fine. Sure, some of my classmates went wild with the HS boys, but I didn't. Parenting has a huge influence on how a child will turn out. Make your value system known. Set clear and reasonable boundaries. Be very involved in her life and very aware of her friends. It will be fine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Hi, mine is also entering middle school at 11. However, she is going to a small private school. We hope for the best.
    Momofoney

Answer by Momofoney at 3:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010