Do you feel that college should be encouraged to more African American kids?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't know college wasn't encouraged to African American Kids.. If anything, it should be encouraged to more kids in general
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I feel that college should be encouraged of every child.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Nope in my high school college was not encouraged only the military.. But its you are right Super... it should be encouraged to all kids...
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I expect college out of my "caucasian" children, and most military african american families I know expect the same
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Actually, all kids who attend school are encouraged. It is the fault of the parent of the kid that doesn't go for not encouraging it. I don't think it should be a matter of some group to be out promoting to a particular group any more than another. It should be encourage a lot to all kids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Thanks.. But you're saying in your high school it was only encouraged to the military-- so what would that have to do with color?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No. I think college should be encouraged to ALL high school students, regardless of color.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Actually, there are many grants, scholorships, and don't forget Affirmitive Action, based soley around a person's race. That is PLENTY of encouragement. I didn't realize AAs weren't being encouraged to go to college but it also has to come from within that person's family and friends as well.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I am sorry that I may not have made myself clear.. The black kids were primarily encouraged to go into the service. While the white kids were primarily encouraged to attend college. Actually it was more of the poorer kids were encouraged to attend the military. But more black kids were poor.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes Ash but if the teachers and admin dont tell the kids about the grants and scholarships then how will they know. Especially if their parents didnt go to college?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010