Anyone here have only one child and has been a SAHM plus homeschooled? My question is do you now feel like it is all overwhelming? Please do not take this wrong way. I am so ready for independence again.

Momofoney

Asked by Momofoney at 3:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am a stay home mom and have one child. I have considered home schooling, but I really do enjoy having free time during the day. I think that all stay home/homeschoolers get burned out at some point.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I am a stay-at-home homeschooling Mom of 1 with another on the way. I am definitely busy, but not overwhelmed. I have an extremely planned out and organized system that keeps me from becoming overwhelmed. We also take breaks whenever needed. I wouldn't trade my lifestyle for any other!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'm a SAHM with 3 kids and I homeschool. It can be very frustrating! I understand. Is there any way you can find a part-time job or take a class at the local community college or university, just to get away for awhile and do something unrelated to children and homeschooling? That's what my hubby and I came up with when I started feeling burnt-out. I'm going to be starting a VERY part-time job (only 2-3 days a week) while he's home or when my mom can watch the children.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It can be frustrating, but for us public school would far more stressful for all of us. The important thing to do is make time that is only for school and you are the teacher/ learning coach and time for being parent/family. The mom above me has great advice.

Remember to take care of yourself. You need proper nutrition, exercise and sleep as well. Also, find ways to to get out. Do science outside or have a skip day, once in a while won't hurt and everyone comes back the next day fresher. Also try breaking down lessons a bit more so you don't have to great amounts of works all at once. Organization is the key and where most home-school families give up. PS teachers get through the day with a lesson plan and strict adherence to time allotted. One of the benefits of home school is we don't have to be so strict, but any kind of regular routine will make it easier on both you and your student.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I also wanted to say, have a section of the house just for school. That way when the school day is done you can clean it up or lock it away and move on about your day.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have a business and I used to homeschool my two children, too. It is overwhelming so you need to be organized. There are both good days and bad days. Anyway, when my kids hit grade 1 I sent them both to school and the ps is quite alright. I just give them some extra studies on weekends. There's a lot of areas where ps system is weak so I try teach them on weekends. They just want to stay home and doesn't want to go out on weekends anyway. During the weekday, they stay in school then go to an after-school program. During the weekday afternoons, they go swimming, play tennis and go to the library with me. Your kid will eventually be ready to go to ps so hang in there till that time. It gets better you know.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:48 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I too am a SAHM and home school. This fall is my second year. I am ORGANIZING EVERTHING to a "t". The best advice I was given was: take breaks often, schedule 2 to 3 subjects a day and have a cut off time. I cut off my time for home school at 2:45 p.m.. Whatever we did not finish, goes on to the next day. Its ok to skip a day to catch up on laundry, house work ect. I was such a military mom last year. I also will have 1/2 days as well. This year we will be MUCH more relaxed and well ORGANIZED. Good luck!!!!!!!!
    iamdomesticdiva

Answer by iamdomesticdiva at 3:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010