HELP! My 2 month-old NEVER wants to be put down!

My 2-month old daughter seems like she ALWAYS wants to be held. 24/7. Realistically, I can't do this- but unless she's asleep, she cries & cries unless she is being held. I have tried ignoring it for a few minutes to see if she calms down, but the crying just gets worse, & eventually I just pick her up. She won't go to sleep unless she is being held, too- sometimes after she falls asleep & I put her in her swing or crib, she wakes right up as soon as I put her down! She was in the NICU for a week when she was 1st born, & the nurses in there held her 24/7 when I wasn't in there with her... I'm wondering if she could have gotten used to being held all the time in such a short amount of time or if she's too young to have picked up a habit? Has anyone else gone through this before? Any advice would be appreciated!

xo_shelby

Asked by xo_shelby at 3:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is too young to pick up the habit. The nurses held her because she had been held by you for 9 months and studies show that when infants are in ICU, they heal quicker with constant contact. Most babies want to be held up to 6 months. I would recommend a baby wrap like the moby. It will free your hands and you won't feel the weight of the baby unlike other carriers and your baby will get the contact she needs.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• awww, my daughter was (and sometimes still is at 17 months) the same way! I remember gettign really frustrated too...I couldnt get anything done, dishes, laundry, cooking,cleaning..just nothing because I had to hold her all the time.
    So, I went out and bought a snugli and carried her around with me..hands free..able to get at least some things done. And when I couldnt hold her at all..like if I was cooking..I would put her in her highchair..it has a reclining seat and I would wheel her around in that, talking to her as I cooked...and other times I would even walk her around the house in her stroller as I picked stuff up.
    In my experience...I have found the more time you spend holding and snuggling them at such a young age..is actaully beneficial because they learn to know you'll always be there and it helps them be more independant in the long run.When my dd gets clingy now,I sit and hold her for 2 mins and shes good to go!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree with the first 2 posters. She has an inherent need to be held and close to her mom. It's what they do and what they need. Get a Moby Wrap and wear her while you get things done. The closeness will help her thrive physically and emotionally.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Um no,,, she wouldn't have picked up a habit at 1 week. I know its frustrating... I had a colicky baby.. try gripe water - try swings.. some babies just need more comforting than others.. My son is 2-1/2 and stlll likes to be held,... I used a portable swing, and a wrap and a swing and a bouncer and my husband and my mom - its hard but keep at it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• take a babymoon~she just feels more put together when she is held I bet. make your caregiving times really special for you guys~dressing, bathing, diapering and feeding and set up a times when she goes on her back to play (I use the crib until 4 mos). Set up stuff to look at, hear and push against and she is on her own for a wee bit. I like them really close so I can see and talk to them while I chop or cook usually.

I even say out loud, you get a little time on your back awake to check things out. soon you will be flipping your butt around you you will need some space. its a good thing this autonomous thing. you will see. I'll give you time to learn about it. you can fuss, i will hear you...but try it for a minute...
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:55 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Have you tried swaddling her? She may just like a more confined space. I'm personally not into baby wearing and I have a 2 week old, so I understand your frustration. This is my 5th baby - it doesn't last forever! I would encourage you to keep trying to put her down, but stay there with her, sing to her, talk to her until she gets more comfortable with not being held. Or "half hold" her, with her cradled next to you and then gradually move further and further away each time as she gets more comfortable. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 5:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My daughter did that and it turned out she had a double ear infection... she as fine as long as she was upright but as soon as she layed down she'd scream!
    zoeysmom331

Answer by zoeysmom331 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Babies need to be held as much as they need food. invest in a sling/wrap and you can both hold your baby and get out or do chores.b theore you hold infants the better. babies are designed to be held, its the us culture for some odd reason that thinks this is bad. did you know that babies in nicu breathe better and have steadier heartrates when held? separation causes stress. when the get bigger they feel safer being apart for short periods. this is natures design.

this won't last forever, all to soon you will miss it when you are no onger needed..
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Thanks, everyone! I will definitely invest in one of those baby carriers- hopefully it helps! =)
    xo_shelby

Comment by xo_shelby (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No 2 month old wants to be put down. They NEED to be held. They're helpless. Food and closeness are their only needs. Look into an ERGO or wrap. NEVER let her cry, especially so young. Look up the benefits of baby wearing :)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010