Should I homeschool?

In my county we need to have teaching credentials....I will be able to get them by the time my son is age 5.

Otherwise I will put him in private school. Public schools are really lacking here because of lack of funding all of the classes have to slow down for the kids who do not speak english, I'm not against it, but we use to have ESL for those children and now its unavailable, so every child suffers.

so

5k a year on private school? or home school?
this is for elementary, I will put him in private school for sure once he is old enough for middle school

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I homeschool my kids, at least for now.

The public schools here are reasonable, education-wise, but there is a ridiculously high level of drug use - not something I want my kids exposed to.

The private schools are really expensive, but despite the high cost, the teaching is actually worse than the public schools. :/ Also, they teach a lot of things that are against my family's beliefs. I'm not going to shell out several thousand dollars a year for each of my kids for that kind of education.

When my kids are old enough for high school, we will probably enroll them in PSEO (a program here in Ohio where high school kids take college classes and get both high school AND college credit for them).

I would advise you to homeschool right now; you'll save a lot of money and you can give him a better education one-on-one anyway. This will get him off to a great start in his education!
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 3:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• definitely if you can do so. . . I know there is a lot of negative buzz on homeschooling, but it is actually a whole new world for homeschooling today. I homeschool my DD and we love it. . . obviously it is not for everyone and there are those who need a better education before thinking about homeschooling their kids, but it is worth it and you learn with the kids a lot of the time. Plan and research are you best friends with this. Each state has different guidelines to adhere to. GL.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 3:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• if you can, I say go for it. Based on his results, you can continue or not after the first year.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 3:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think that would depend on the kid. I was an introvert, but my best friend was an extravert. I was held back by teacher's uncaring attitude towards students who asked questions in elementary school. I was ahead in math and english (but sucked at science and history). Both my best friend and I were homeschooled for the latter part of our childhood education. I did well, she did not (nor did she do well with public school ridicule). I liked the freedom, but as a parent, it can be a little time consuming making sure your child understands and completes assignments. For social interaction, there are homeschool groups, but the question would be if your child would fare well with liimited peer contact.
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 4:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• go for it mama! I think homeschooling can be great if done right.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We love homeschooling. :)
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Depending on what state you live in there are also online public schools
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2010