Is it legal...?

to hold a child/infant on your lap in a vehicle if all of the available seat belts are in use? If you can link a reference where I can find this information I would be greatly appreciative. My father and I are having a huge debate about this, I say it is illegal, he says it is legal. I need proof, not just opinion. If it differs by state, we are interested in the laws in Oregon, California and Wisconsin.

No baby/child is going to end up riding on a lap either way, I just don't want to listen to the harping anymore.

THANKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• Oregon:
    Oregon state law requires that all children must ride in a federally approved car seat until they are at least 4 years old and weigh at least 40 pounds. Infants must ride in rear-facing car seats until they reach both one year of age AND 20 pounds.

Effective July 1, 2007, a new Oregon law further requires that children use a booster seat until they are 4'9" tall, unless they are at least 8 years old. Oregon strongly recommends that children under age 12 ride in the back seat. All Oregon passengers and drivers are required to wear a seat belt.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• California:
    In California, car seat laws err further on the side of caution than many other states. California state law requires children to ride in a federally approved baby car seat or child booster seat until they are at least 6 years old or weigh at least 60 pounds. California also requires children under age 16 to be buckled up with a seat belt.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Wisconsin:
    Wisconsin state law requires that children under age 4 be restrained in an appropriate, federally approved car seat. The law in Wisconsin further requires that children ages 4 to 8 ride in a seat belt or a federally approved car seat or booster seat. All other drivers and passengers must wear a seat belt.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• All the info I posted above was from about.com:baby products
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I had a similar issue with my father, and he has been a police officer for 40 years. He said it was fine to take a baby out of the car seat only to nurse. I don't know if its true or not, but I never wanted to take her out while the car was moving...too dangerous.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• NO, NO, NO. NEVER HOLD A CHILD IN YOUR LAP WHEN IN A MOVING VEHICLE. Every state has car seat laws.

http://www.inventiveparent.com/state-laws.htm
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• But you have to remember that they didnt' use to have all of these car seat laws. and seatbelt laws. that is prob why he is thinking that there isn't
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You might be having this debate based on your age difference. It may have been legal a while ago, I cannot imagine it is now.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• kabbot01, Here in Idaho the law states that a child must be in the apropriate child safty seat unless nursing. I didn't beleive it till I looked it up. But that is what the state law says.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• thats absolutely crazy that its ok if youre nursing!! i would NEVER do that i dont care if its legal or not!! sorry, just had to add that in!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2008