How do you feel about little boys with girl things?

Okay, so I have a four year old boy who loves princess and all that stuff. I rather dont care. He likes what he likes and if that makes him smile..what could it hurt. So, I talked about buying some princess movies (that he asks for) and stuff for him and the looks I got were awful. :( I dont believe that barbies and kitchens (which my son does have a kitchen) make your sons gay. I want him to get these things bc he likes them.. but I dont want to be a bad parent for not making him "manly"... but I dont beleive that it could alter his sexuality.. I have two boys (the other one is still a baby) so people will know that these things are for him.. how do you feel about it? Would I be a bad mom? Oh, and it's not like I am pushing this on him. He came to me and asked me for these things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son had a kitchen and some baby dolls. I don't believe in the boys don't cry or play with those things mentality. They need to learn to be caring and have empathy too. Along with being comfy in a kitchen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:55 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My brother asked for a kitchen from santa when he was 3 or 4.... as an adult he owned his own restaurant and is now in charge of building a book store/ cafe from the ground up. And according to his wife he is ALL MAN.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:55 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son likes to play with my daughters dolls and watch her girly movies, but i dont think it will have any outcome on him when he gets older. They have no clue about what Gay even is so dont stress out mama, ur just giving him what he likes and makes him happy. I dont think theres anything wrong with that.
    kgmmw

Answer by kgmmw at 3:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• When I was little, my nephews would play with my barbies and i would play with their GI Joes. I don't think that this is an issue. Just like some girls like to play in the mud and some boys don't like to get dirty.

My nephew was the biggest girl I knew. Now he is the biggest guys-guy that I know.

If it makes your son happy, go for it momma!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think as long as you tell the child their gender, they can decide what is okay for them. A boy will not be Gay or anything just because he plays with dolls as a child. That is crazy thinking
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Get him what makes him smile and happy and the heck with the gender roles, there is nothing you or anyone can do to make him gay is he is not, so don't worry about that. You are a good mom!

Answer by older at 3:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Girls play with boys toys and that doesn't make them manly little lesbians.

My youngest daughter LLOVES cars and stuff like that. She would prefer to play with that than a barbie any day, lol.

My son, I suppose only time will tell because he is only 4 months old.

If he wants them then buy them! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Of course you wouldnt be a bad mom for buying that stuff! Youre a good one for understanding and recognizing what he enjoys playing with. Grown men play in a real kitchen and cook...fathers of little girls hold babies and play pretend dolls with thier little girls (and boys). I think it teaches them to be a complete person...all around. My dh will sit and watch Cinderella with the girls. Noone calls him gay for that..he's a good dad. He shows interest in what his girls like..just like he shows interest in what his boys like. Some of the best men..are the ones that grew up being allowed to be who they were meant to be. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son has had a doll since he was a baby (he still pretends to be his daddy), he also had a kitchen when he was little. Now he plays with all the "boy toys" and loves to play sports but he still has a need once in a while to play "family" with his little sister and her dolls. Having girl toys will not make him gay........unless you're talking about being happy :) I don't see anything wrong with it.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 4:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You are not being a bad mom!! Boys and girls should be allowed to play with all sorts of toys............dolls, stuffed animals, kitchens, trucks, cars, little tool sets, etc. Just make sure there is a mix and don't let anyone send him messages that this is wrong.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010