I am pumping for my 4 week old baby. For the last 2-3 days, it REALLY hurts when my milk lets down. Also it hurts when I pump and I am not getting very much productin any more. Whats going on?

Asked by MomHannah at 3:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your nipples are getting the point that your pumpng. you need the stimulation from the baby. or youi could have a yeast infection. you do get then in your breast, if you have any shooting paint then you might wanna get it looked at.

Answer by dichevygurl87 at 3:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• if your breast is hard to the touch it might be mastitus (not sure of spelling)

Answer by cherri_bloss at 3:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• how often are you pumping??? i agree w/ cherri_bloss you might be getting mastitis (clogged milk duct). also you could be setting your pump to high "( i have done that a few times. do you wait till your milk lets down before turning your pump up??
    i would call a lactation specialist and get seen ") good luck sweetie

Answer by beccan at 7:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Make sure that you are eating right, drinking plenty and getting enough sleep. Try to put a bag of frozen peas on the breasts for the soreness and do check with your lactation specialist for a possible infection. good luck

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I usually wait till I feel full or I feel my milk drop. Sometimes I pump right before Jessica wakes up so I have a bottle to feed her. I have no training, I dont have a lact. consultant either. I just went online and here to figure out what/when/how to pump. This morning most of the pain is gone and production is comming back up. I was adding water to her bottles because there was not enough milk. I did not have to do that this morning, thankfully. I have formula but dont want to use it if I dont have to.

Answer by MomHannah at 3:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I've been exclusively pumping for 6 months. Pump every time the baby eats at first. Don't try to wait because you'll get a clog. Once your breast are fully working and used to it you can start going longer. If you have what's called a forceful let down (a lot of milk let down at once) it can be somewhat painful when it happens, you'll get used to it. Only pump for about 15 minutes at a time. Don't let you breast get so full they are hard because this puts more pressure on your stretched out nipple. Make sure your breast shield of the pump is the right size. It took me a long time to figure out that mine was actually too big and the pump was sucking in part of my areola and it hurt. Try to stay calm while pumping or the let down wont happen, you'll get a clog and that hurts very bad.

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• It said my answer was too long so here's part 2.
    Lastly get yourself a good pump. Those $40 ones are affordable but don't get all the milk out which can cause clogs and a delay in milk production. I have a Medela and it was about $260 which hurt the pocket book a bit but I can do both sides at once and also can but extra shields and connectors for it so you don't have to wash them every time you pump which is very handy in the middle of the night.