Okay, whats the deal with this BPA talk?

I have AVENT bottles, which are supposed to be the best... I heard that they may have "BPA." What is this? Should I get new bottles... If so, which ones?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 7:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't know,..i use vent-air, and never had a problem
    Anonymous

• Not sure. I use Advent as well and have not heard anything, but if you find out please let me know!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It is a type of chemical in plastics.. go to Thegreenguide.com and search BPA it is a controversy..some say they are dangerous..others say they aren't
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Its a chemical in the bottles, and when you heat them the chemical can seep into the milk. I use the playtex dropins and they are all BPA free. I know people who use the AVENT and have no problem.
    blueeyes71883

Answer by blueeyes71883 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• BPA is a hazardous material(causes cancer) in plastics and other things, older Avent bottles, as in more than about 3-4 months old, have BPA in them. TONS of other countries have banned BPA, but yet the FDA says its safe. BUT formula has BPA in it because its in the sealant in the cans so using bottles with it in it or not if you use formula your child will get BPA.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• almost all canned foods in America are lined with BPA, it isn't only formula
    Anonymous

• bpa is a type of chemical that is used in the making of plastic, they say that tiny tiny amounts can leach out of the bottles and into the milk, granted, avent does have bpa free bottles. i have a few and they are fine, granted i still use the other ones.. you can't protect your children from everything.. be it, the diapers you buy, some of them that have super absorbancy in them, touch your babies skin, i mean, you have to pick your battles, and frankly i'd rather pick it with his vacines, and his health care, than worry about the .000003 micros going into a bottle, he only gets one bottle a day anyhow, and even if a mom uses only bottles, there isnt enough info out there, soon, they will say babyshampoo is bad cause of all the stuff they put in it, to make it safe for babies eyes...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:11 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I've been researching toxic plastic for the last several years, and I believe the use of BPA in baby feeding products is of great concern. 100’s of studies have led environmental scientists and endocrinologists avoid BPA, especially in children. A review done by the Center for Health, Environment and Justice called "Report on Public Health Concerns - Phthalates and Bisphenol-a" states, "Children are particularly vulnerable to the effect of chemicals in their environment mainly because they face greater exposures due to their size and behaviors, and because they are more sensitive as a result of their ongoing development. Infants and young children have structural and functional characteristics that while common to their normal growth and development may actually increase their vulnerability to chemicals.” BTW, Avent now makes a BPA free baby bottle.
    amv91

Answer by amv91 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2008