If you are done having kids..

How did you make the decision that you were done adding to your family? I have 4 kids right now which most would say is PLENTY! I personally would love to have more but DH doesnt and wants to get snipped. And if your reason was financial- if that wasnt the problem would you have more? Im trying to find out if its a feeling you get that your family is complete or is it just something you have to just say enough no matter how you feel?

mommyto4rugrats

Asked by mommyto4rugrats at 4:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• It was a mutual decision, and I feel that's important.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I just knew I was done. I had three and that was how many I've wanted since I was young. Even now when I see other babies I smile and know how happy I am that I am done and get to just sit back and watch them grow now. :)

I just KNEW and you will know also.

My bf wasn't very happy with me getting my tubes tied but I told him it was my decision (nicely).
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We lost our 1st child,our daughter Caitlin,to stillbirth. Needless to say,my pregnancy with our son was scary! At 4 we found out he was autistic. He's really a handful. I can't imagine caring for another child when we have him. My husband got a vasectomy in 2002.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I was single with 2 DD's Wanted a boy. But knew that was a 50/50 chance I would not get a boy. So I went and got a tubel. Made the choice, if it was not going to be a boy I did not want any more kids.

Answer by louise2 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I was finished 18yrs ago when I had my only child. lol

I never wanted children. Having children was never a dream or goal in my life. After we had been married a few years. I decided that I would like A child. Just one. I knew myself well enough to know, that having more than 1, just wasn't a good thing for me personally. I have never had any desire for any more children.

Finances. Not an issue. I just have never had a desire for any more children.

My husband was snipped before my son was 1yr old. One of the BEST decisions we have ever made in our 25yrs of marriage.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I made the decision not to have more children and had my tubes tied after my last child. I became a mom at the age of 17,soon after had two more children....I had a fourth and final baby. There are 20 years in between my first and last child. I had two sons and two daughters. I have no regrets on having it done. I am free and can have sex any darn time I feel like with no worries. (: Very nice!! I think I have done my share of populating the earth lol. I have been a mom for sooooo long...and even before that I took care of my younger brother and sister often. I am all kiddo'd out lol.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We have 2. I would LOVE to have a 3rd or even a 4th, BUT.....i am a private school snob and I will not allow my child to set 1 foot inside a public school. Therefore, in order to afford the tuition costs of private schools for K-12, 2 is all we can afford and still pay the mortgage. We are living paycheck to paycheck as it is. A 3rd kid, would totally bankrupt us.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 4:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• yep...it is a risky deal after awhile. you have to really educate the one you have. and if you really don't think you are done seeing 4 sets of little eyes, you can adopt, you can foster you can teach...mothering is a blast, but...we are not all the duggars~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 4:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• There were several factors - we had a boy and girl so we didn't feel we were missing out on anything, we wanted to have our children relatively young so that we could still be spry enough to fully enjoy our empty nest years, and lastly we knew a large family wasn't for us or our lifestyle. We wanted to keep our family small.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Well my third child did not sleep through the night until she was 5 she was good birthcontroll. I would love more kids my youngest is 16 so I am guessing I am done. I never actually came to terms with it. I love the life I have now. I can travel and be gone. Two kids in college and one more to go next year.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 26, 2010