I'm dating this guy and I loaned him some money. Should I wait for him to repay me before I break up with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Relationships

• just a question, is the reason you are breaking up with him because of the money?

How much money was it?

and it all depends on how good of friends/ relationship you guys have? are you guys wanting to stay friends after the break up?

Jasmine0530

Answer by Jasmine0530 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• This might be one of those lessons in life that you had to pay for- literally. Never loan a person money expecting get it back. Also while we are on the subject NEVER co-sign a loan because not only will your credit score go bad but the bank/credit union can/will come after you for the money. I would say if you don't want to be with him then break up though you may not get the money back -hmmm who's to say even if you stayed with him he would pay you back. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Are you thinking about breaking up with him? If so you should wait untill you do because he might not want to give it back to you.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I'd ask him when he plans on paying it back so you don't have to hang in there and date him forever

Answer by admckenzie at 8:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• depends on how much money or you can just say"hey, i want to break up and where is my money?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Is it in writing that you "LOANED" him money.
    If not....get your money before you run.
    Been there ....done that.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 8:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• The only thing you can do is ask him when he plans on repaying you. Maybe get him to sign a promissory note while your still together just in case. Take his butt to Judge Judy!!
    dupreemommy

Answer by dupreemommy at 8:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Oh, I have been here! Stayed with a real jerk hoping I'd eventually get the $900 he'd sucked out of me over the course of a few years. How badly do you want your money? How badly do you want your freedom? Don't stay just in hopes of getting the money if it's a bad relationship & you need to get out for your emotional health. He could be using that to keep you stringing along - not paying you back to keep you. He could have no intention of ever paying you back, only you know. I can say this, if he's not forking it over while you are together, there's a snowball's chance in hell you'll get it after you break up.
    lianas_mom

Answer by lianas_mom at 8:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Late advice. Don't loan money to friends, boyfriends, family. You can GIVE(as in gift) money but to make it a LOAN is asking for hurt feelings and heartache in the end if it doesn't work out.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 8:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• If you want your money back. lol
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2008