Gluten/Dairy/Egg Free Cake

My little one is turning 1 soon and I had hired a baker to make her cake since she has so many allergies. However, that is now not an option and I have to make her cake + icing. I am starting now to practice so I dont mess it up for the big day. I want to know if anyone has any good recipes???

3jewlz

Asked by 3jewlz at 4:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Have you tried googling a recipe?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes, but I would prefer to have one that someone uses and has tasted so I can talk with them and ask questions.
    3jewlz

Comment by 3jewlz (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• This one was a hit.
    Devon Teddy Cakes
    8ozMashed Potatoes (not flakes!)
    8oz Self Raising Flour or rice flour
    4oz Sugar
    Dried Fruit, to taste
    Milk to taste. (Rice milk or soy milk works. Almond milk adds a bit of flavor)

Mix all of the ingredients together, to form a thick dough Add milk to smooth..Turn out onto a lightly flour board and roll out to a thickness of 15mm (½ inch).Place a small knob of butter into a frying pan and fry gently until golden brown on both sides..Sprinkle with sugar and serve.

elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 6:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Sally Sly Cakes

225g (8oz) Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
    160g (6oz) Dried Figs
    50g (2oz) Raisins
    50g (2oz) Currant
    50g (2oz) Walnuts
    50g (2oz) Sugar
    4 tbsp Water

Preheat oven to: 375°F:
    To make the filling place together the chopped figs, raisins, currants, chopped walnuts and sugar in a saucepan with the water, simmer until the figs are tender and have absorbed all of the liquid.
    Allow to cool.
    Divide the pastry into two and roll out.
    Line a greased shallow 9 by 4 inches baking tin with half of the pastry.
    Spread over the filling.
    Cover with the remaining pastry, pinching the edges together to form a seal.
    Brush with milk to glaze.
    Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
    Sprinkle with sugar.
    Cut into squares when cool.
    When you make the pastry use rice flour or potato flour.

Also check out glutenfree.org

elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 6:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I personally would get a mix - depending on what stores you have around you you should have at least a couple of brand choices - but Betty Crocker's is good, and the cheapest I've seen. For frosting - I usually make my buttercream with a mix of Crisco & butter, but there are recipes that use only Crisco, and you can use water or other liquids in place of the little bit of milk or cream. You can pm me if you have more questions, my nephew is gluten/dairy/sugar/etc free and I've made a few things for him, plus I have a good bunch of recipes.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 7:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Thank you soooooo much!!!@
    3jewlz

Comment by 3jewlz (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Have you check out Cherrybrook Kitchens? They make mixes specifically for food allergic kids and they are goooood. Just google them. You can order online but they also have them in grocery stores where I am. They make cake mixes, cookie mixes, frostings...a ton of stuff! They've been a huge help for my little guy.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:59 AM on Jul. 27, 2010