Why make microwavable sterilizers in 2008 if its an issue?????

It infuriates me that I spent so much time researching to get the best products for my little girl, and this crap happens... I have heard numerous times not to microwave bottles, which I dont... but I do put the bottles into the sterilizer, which goes in the microwave... What is the deal? How can they do this? Part of me wants to go replace everything, but then are they just going to find something else? I hope to God its not, but maybe its a marketing ploy.

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 7:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are not supposed to microwave bottles with milk in them, due to hot spots that can be caused and you can not feel it and then burn your babies mouth/throat.

As far as using the microwave to sterilize your bottles with the product you are speaking of, I don't see anything wrong with that.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• you are taking a risk with everything in parenting. Breast or formula, BPA or BPA free, cloth or disposable. Its a matter of finding something with the least amount of risk you are willing to take. You absolutely cannot 100% protect your baby from everything. Definition of parenting is to do the best you can.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 7:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I agree with Carolyn... the no microwave thing has to do with hot spots and if it's breastmilk breaking down of antibodies (which is kinda the point of breastmilk)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• my nurses at the hospital told me not to even bother with sterlizing anything.. the reason they sterilized years ago, was because the water wasnt treated. His bottles and nipples etc, go into the dish washer, his pumped milk goes into the fridge and funny he likes it in any form. I got three baby books as gifts and they all mentioned not to bother with it, because the second your baby leaves the hospital, he or she will never be sterile again, which is fine by me, they need to get their immune system working somehow.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:04 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• You can use the microwave sterilizer, it's putting milk in the microwave (like they said above) b/c it gets hot spots. You're supposed to run it under warm water.
    christenlrodrig

Answer by christenlrodrig at 10:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2008