potty training?

My adorable ham of a son is 18.5 months old and we are thinking of starting him on the potty. Is this a good age or rather is there a good age? Advice??

EyeofOdin

Asked by EyeofOdin at 4:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is he showing signs of being ready?

all kids potty train at different ages.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 4:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• what are signs? He tries to help me wipe when he is in the bathroom with me, but what are the signs. He squats when he poos...
    EyeofOdin

Comment by EyeofOdin (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You can start potty training at any age. I have started as early as 9 months and as late as 18 months. Just realize that it may take longer when you start earlier. They get the hang of going in the potty but not telling you when they need to go! I LOVED having less diapers though.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• IMO, between 18months- 2 1/2yrs is the perfect time to Introduce kids to the potty. put them on there every now and then. like if you see the look on their face, or the signs that you know means they're about to poop, if they let you, run them over to the potty, sit with them and read a book, sing songs until they're done. it's ok if they've already went a little in their diaper, it's just and introduction. don't force them, if they don't want to, they don't have to. and it does't have to be all the time either. IMO, at 2 1/2 is when you start cracking down more, if it's any earlier it's only cuz your positive they are completely ready.

it's very frustrating, the resolve was my best friend the week i cracked down on my son. but i had him in underwear during the day in 4 days :) dd will be 2 tomorrow, i've already started introducing, this winter is when i'll start cracking down. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I had this little boy that lived with me and my family for a long time, and he pretty much potty trained himself because he thought the pee was nasty, the only time he didnt go in the toilet were the occasional accidents when he was asleep, so Im not sure what age is best I guess it is whenever you feel they are ready, or they feel their ready.
    Danielle55

Answer by Danielle55 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• go for it. I started my son at 19 months, and hes 20 months now and pretty much pee trained. the little booger doesnt want to poop in the potty for anything though, although he did today so maybe things will get better. but i made sure to go with no diapers at all, underwear at home and pull ups while we were out. if he would start pooping in the potty he would be in underwear full time. he also was night trained the day we started day training. i wasnt expecting that but he hasnt had a wet pull up at night since we started. hes in underwear at night now too. the trick is finding the right potty. we went through 4 before we found the one he wanted, and that was one that connected to the big toilet.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010