carseat experts

My DD is almost 3. She is currently in a convertible carseat (I think thats what they are called. You can rear face & forward face.) Its by Safety First. I turned her FF at 2.5. It has never been in an accident. We have had it for about 2 years, & was bought brand new. It holds up to 65lbs, & she weighs 28lbs right now. But the straps only adjust so much. So my question is, when do I need to replace the car seat & what kind should I get? (another convertible? a booster?)

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Keep her in it as long as possible. if ned be, get a taller seat
    rocker_mommy_08

Answer by rocker_mommy_08 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Well, if the seat is made to harness until 65lbs. then the straps should adjust to hold her until she is that weight (which usually isn't until age 6-8yrs.) But you also need to make sure that the straps are comming out at or above her shoulders. If/when you are ready for a new seat, then you could get what is called a combination seat such as the Graco Nautalis. It is a forward facing only seat that will harness to 65lbs. and then becomes a booster seat.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• The straps need to be at or above her shoulders, not below, and her ears can't come past the top of the seat. If either of those things has happened, she's outgrown the seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2010