Has anybody had issues with their babies sleeping after they hit a new milestone?

My son just turned 7 months old and has learned to get in a sitting position from laying down and now just figured out how to pull himself up in the crib. He screams bloody murder now when I put him down for a nap because he sees me leave. I never had issues with him before with napping. I am losing my mind as he barely napped at all today. Listening to him scream is killing me though. Help!?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son (2yo) would do that, and my daughter (6mo) is starting that phase now.
    He's also more aware now, and now realizes you are "gone" when you leave. And when they hit these growth & development milestones, they need some extra TLC; lots of brain energy being used.

It's a difficult balance -- you don't want him to depend on you rocking for naps (maybe you do; I didn't), but you want him to know you're there. I would rock my son for a while, then put him quietly in the crib with his mobile on. While he settled, I'd read a book in his room. He knew I was there, but I wasn't actively helping him fall asleep. If he fussed, I'd pat him and rub his back/belly.

It doesn't work for everyone, but this was our solution. HTH.
    Squirrell34

Answer by Squirrell34 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think it comes in phases for some. My son..I never really had sleep issues with him at all..the boy loved sleep,lol.
    My daughter on the other hand was a different story..or IS rather. I tried many different things. There were times when I let her cry it out..and that worked really well. It took 2 nights of letting her cry it out..seriously like 40 mins each night. It killed me, I felt so bad but for several months after that, she would lay right down at bedtime and go to sleep. Then she got in this phase where she was crying again..it was more like screaming.It sounded like she was scared of something so sometimes I would bring her in the bed with us and she'd sleep there.I have a portable crib in our bedroom and thats wheres shes been sleeping now.Its like as long as she sees us there, she'll go to sleep.But now, I can't get her out of our room,lol.I'm too exhausted these days so I just gave in. Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My daughter did that, too. It stopped though because it was only a phase. She hit that phase again now that I do not rock her to sleep and make her fall asleep on her own (she's 14 months). The screaming lasts about 2 minutes and she's done and asleep.

When she does the screaming, I simply kiss her on her forehead and tell her goodnight and it's going to be okay.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 5:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes, it happens. Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much.

We cosleep so we get lots of shuteye.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think this is very normal. When you learn something new you tend to want to keep doing it. With children the more they learn it seems the less they want to sleep because they want to stay up and experience life!
    vampiremommy1

Answer by vampiremommy1 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2010